Re: Which camera has the best dynamic range?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:40:55 -0400, Bob Donahue wrote:

    > I take a lot of pictures at car shows. The digital cameras I've had to date,
    > have trouble rendering white cars in direct sunlight. You can't see the
    > curves of the body panels, they come out pure white with no shading! Cars
    > that are not white come out beautifully. I'm in the market for a new "point
    > and shoot" camera. I've narrowed my choice down to the Fujifilm FinePix
    > F100fd or the Nikon CoolPix 610. Both of these models are advertised as
    > having special "dynamic range" modes. Which one would be my best bet for
    > avoiding washed out highlights?

    Possibly the camera you already own. Which one is it? As David
    mentioned, a slight amount of exposure compensation may give you
    back the missing white highlights, although it may require more than
    a -1/3 stop reduction. If your camera can show histograms on
    playback, it'll show pretty clearly if you're pictures are being
    overexposed. Some cameras also combine a "blinking highlights"
    feature that will show the highlight problem areas.

    As for the better camera, I'd say probably the F100fd, but that's
    a guess since here (USA) the Coolpix S610 has no reviews since it
    isn't yet available. B&H indicates that they'll be getting them in
    October. If it's anything like the similarly spec'ed CoolPix S600,
    the Coolpix P60 and Panasonic's LZ10, Fuji's F100fd clearly
    outperforms them for detail and image quality, most obviously at
    higher ISOs. Only a little was said about the CP S600's D-Lighting,
    and the example primarily showed improved shadow detail. More
    attention was paid to improving dynamic range in the F100fd's

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F100FD/F100FDA.HTM

    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3440

    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3426&review=nikon coolpix s600

    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3451&review=nikon p60