Re: Where to get GOOD black and white prints made

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mister Max, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Mister Max

    Mister Max Guest

    (Sarah) posted:

    > I am looking for a lab to get good black and white prints from my
    > digital camera. The paper needs to be matte at the least because I
    > would like to hand color some. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Have you tried a laser jet?
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax
    Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

    Mister Max, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Mister Max

    Sarah Guest

    Mister Max <> wrote in message news:<Xns93DAA822C91CAanonrandomsequenceof@206.127.4.25>...
    > (Sarah) posted:
    >
    > > I am looking for a lab to get good black and white prints from my
    > > digital camera. The paper needs to be matte at the least because I
    > > would like to hand color some. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    > Have you tried a laser jet?
    > - Max

    No I haven't.

    Sarah, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Mister Max

    Mister Max Guest

    "Ian Burley" <> posted:

    > I don't expect this would be a very good route as laser printers don't
    > have very good black density or tonal range. Use an error diffusion
    > screen (should be a driver setting) if you want to try, though.
    >
    > Ian

    Did a test. The laser (hp LaserJet 1200) printed blacker blacks than my
    Epson C80 inkjet, with (therefore) better tonal range. Epson did not
    show the dots that the laser did, though. Tests run with the laser at
    "ProRes 1200(180 dpi)" on 24 lb plain paper; Epson C80 at 1440 dpi on
    "Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight."

    - Max

    Mister Max, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Mister Max

    Ian Burley Guest

    OK, Max - thanks for the detail. A C80 is not really a photo printer in my
    boox. A Stylus Photo series printer will give considerably better black
    density on Heavyweight Matt, and even better on Premium Glossy paper.

    The laser printer should win on plain paper whatever, though.

    Ian

    --

    DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY NOW - http://www.dp-now.com
    UK-based Web magazine for users of digital photography

    Ian Burley, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Mister Max

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/18/03 9:23 AM, in article
    Xns93DB69B4E6941anonrandomsequenceof@206.127.4.25, "Mister Max"
    <> wrote:

    > "Ian Burley" <> posted:
    >
    >> I don't expect this would be a very good route as laser printers don't
    >> have very good black density or tonal range. Use an error diffusion
    >> screen (should be a driver setting) if you want to try, though.
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>

    > Did a test. The laser (hp LaserJet 1200) printed blacker blacks than my
    > Epson C80 inkjet, with (therefore) better tonal range. Epson did not
    > show the dots that the laser did, though. Tests run with the laser at
    > "ProRes 1200(180 dpi)" on 24 lb plain paper; Epson C80 at 1440 dpi on
    > "Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight."
    >
    > - Max

    Are you nuts?!? Photo quality on a damn laser printer?
    BAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!!
    Now THAT'S funny!!!!
    GAWD!!! There ARE some people that are unbelievable.

    George Kerby, Aug 18, 2003