Re: Where is "Security And Settings"?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Vance Roos, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Vance Roos

    Vance Roos Guest

    "Tom Porterfield" <> wrote:

    >> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
    >> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
    >> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
    >>
    >> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
    >> remove it?
    >>
    >> How can I access security settings for individual files?

    > You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

    Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
    security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
    dialup) from intruding.

    Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
    back on?

    Vance Roos, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Vance Roos

    rifleman Guest

    In article <93EBB1F17747D471AE@195.92.193.157>, says...
    > "Tom Porterfield" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
    > >> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
    > >> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
    > >>
    > >> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
    > >> remove it?
    > >>
    > >> How can I access security settings for individual files?

    > > You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

    > Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
    > security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
    > dialup) from intruding.
    >
    > Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
    > back on?

    Not if you run a good firewall, which you should be doing anyway, not
    least of all to protect yourself against things like the Blaster Worm.

    rifleman, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Vance Roos wrote:

    > Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
    > security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
    > dialup) from intruding.
    >
    > Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
    > back on?

    No. The simple file sharing check has no impact on how hard or easy it
    is for someone to hack into your PC from the outside. It simply
    controls where and how you can set security on your files and folders.

    Now if you turn off simple file sharing and then go and share a bunch
    of your folders, giving everyone full control, then you have opened
    your system for exploit. But that was due to your subsequent action of
    setting poor security/sharing settings on your folders, not
    specifically just because you turned on or off simple file sharing.

    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows XP & Smart Display

    Please post all follows to the newsgroup only

    Tom Porterfield, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Vance Roos

    Vance Roos Guest

    "Tom Porterfield" <> wrote:

    >> Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
    >> security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system
    >> with dialup) from intruding.
    >>
    >> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring
    >> switched back on?

    > No. The simple file sharing check has no impact on how hard or
    > easy it is for someone to hack into your PC from the outside.
    > It simply controls where and how you can set security on your
    > files and folders.
    >
    > Now if you turn off simple file sharing and then go and share a
    > bunch of your folders, giving everyone full control, then you
    > have opened your system for exploit. But that was due to your
    > subsequent action of setting poor security/sharing settings on
    > your folders, not specifically just because you turned on or off
    > simple file sharing.

    I don't want to be foolish in how I use XP file sharing but in fact
    when I create a file I might well want everyone else registered as a
    user on my XP system (it is a standalone PC with multiple users) to
    have access to it.

    How can I do this most easily without permitting others outside of my
    PC gaining access via the Net?

    Vance Roos, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Vance Roos

    Mimic Guest

    "Vance Roos" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom Porterfield" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
    > >> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
    > >> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
    > >>
    > >> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
    > >> remove it?
    > >>
    > >> How can I access security settings for individual files?

    > > You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

    > Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
    > security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
    > dialup) from intruding.
    >
    > Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
    > back on?

    Just run a decent firewall and most of all make sure that File and Print
    sharing isnt bound to your modem. If youre on a network, it should be bound
    to the network card only.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."

    Mimic, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Vance Roos

    Mimic Guest

    "Vance Roos" <> wrote in message
    > Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
    > back on?

    Note : my bad, i missread Simple File Sharing as File and Print Sharing.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."

    Mimic, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Vance Roos wrote:

    > I don't want to be foolish in how I use XP file sharing but in fact
    > when I create a file I might well want everyone else registered as a
    > user on my XP system (it is a standalone PC with multiple users) to
    > have access to it.
    >
    > How can I do this most easily without permitting others outside of my
    > PC gaining access via the Net?

    The easiest way is to use the shared document folder already in XP.
    That's exactly what it's there for. Unless you've chosen to protect
    the files in your profile directory, everyone on the machine will have
    access to the files. Additionally unless you open folder shares to the
    world, granting everyone access to files still means they have to be on
    your machine to access the file.

    Tom Porterfield, Sep 5, 2003