Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by R. C. White, Sep 10, 2009.

  1. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Angela.

    Please see me earlier message. It sounds to me like you already have IE8
    and are trying to install IE7 over it. :>(

    > my guess is that his version I'm trying
    > to install contains both 32 and 64-bit,

    Good guess! See my earlier post - and posts by Bobby and Don.

    > and to install the 32-bit (the one I
    > don't have now), I need to uninstall 64-bit,

    BAD Guess!

    As we said before, BOTH versions are installed automatically. You can
    choose to run either one (the 32-bit is the default but you can change it) -
    or both side by side.

    So, no need to uninstall 64-bit. You really can't, anyhow, without
    uninstalling 32-bit along with it.

    > and then use this download to
    > reinstall both. Does that make sense? Sorry if the answer is obvious.

    I'm not sure that "obvious" is the word. But just install IE8 on your
    64-bit Vista. Then look in TWO locations and you will find the TWO versions
    of iexplore.exe: the 32-bit in Program Files (x86) and the 64-bit in
    Program Files (without the "x86"). You may think that these two
    identically-named files are identical, but they are not. One clue is that
    the 32-bit file is 658 KB; the 64-bit version is bigger at 681 KB. You
    want - and need - and will automatically get BOTH files "for the price of
    one".

    > I'd
    > just prefer to not do something stupid. : o )

    Not stupid. Just hard to understand the way Microsoft does things
    sometimes. :^{

    Now...When I tried to send the screenshot of both "Help | About..." windows
    earlier, I forgot to Attach it. Then I tried to send it in a second
    message - which was rejected because it was too big (about 400 KB). So I
    cut it down and tried again - and I don't know what happened. My Sent Items
    says it was sent, but it hasn't shown up here yet. But you don't really
    need it. Just open each of the two versions of IE - either 7 or 8 - and
    click Help | About Internet Explorer and look at the Version line to see if
    it mentions 64-bit. If it doesn't you are seeing the 32-bit version - which
    is the default. If you want to see the 64-bit version, just browse to:
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe and click on it. (And I
    just realized that I left the \Internet Explorer out of the paths in my
    first message.)

    Good luck! Please post back and let us know how it works out for you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 10, 2009

  2. R. C. White

    angela g Guest

    Thanks.
    It was IE 8 I was trying to install. Apparently when the new version and
    previously installed version are same version, that msg appears and one
    cannot install.

    I neglected to mention that I deleted IE 32-bit a few months ago. I was
    trying to do something, the browser didn't work right, I was using IE 32-bit,
    noticed for the first time that there was both a 32-bit and 64-bit, the
    64-bit did work, since I have 64-bit PC, I figured the 32-bit was a mistake,
    deleted it, and was fine.

    It was only when I talked to the Webex guy on Tue. that seemed like 32-bit
    version might be good some occasions. (Just like I normally use Firefox but
    sometimes IE for whatever reason works better.)

    I tried today to uninstall IE to reinstall with both 32 and 64 bit version.
    Guess what, it's not listed on the Add and Uninstall Programs in Ctrl Panel.
    If you try to delete or rename it directly, I'm told I don't have access,
    even tho I normally have admin access.

    Since the NEED to have 32-bit IE has only come up once (and I don't know
    that it would have solved the Webex issue anyhow), at this point I'm ready to
    give up and wait however many months till there's a new version of IE.
    Unless someone has a better idea.
    Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions and time.

    angela g, Sep 10, 2009

  3. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Angela.

    I'm sorry to say that you probably DO NEED the 32-bit IE. :>(

    A FEW websites don't recognize 64-bit IE yet. Some of them, sadly, are
    Microsoft sites!

    But the biggest gap - for me at least - is that Adobe's Flash Player has not
    yet been updated to run on a 64-bit browser, as I mentioned before. We're
    not waiting for a new version of IE; we're waiting for Adobe to catch up to
    the 21st Century. For Adobe's official position on this, see their
    TechNote, written nearly a year ago and still current:
    Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

    This means my grandson can't watch Super Why videos on pbskids.org unless he
    uses 32-bit IE8. :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 10, 2009
  4. IE8 is an installed update which will not appear in the Programs list.

    See
    http://www.windowsreference.com/int...uninstall-internet-explorer-8-ie8-in-vistaxp/
    for uninstallation instructions.

    If you only deleted the shortcut to 32-bit IE8 all you need to do is
    recreate the shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet
    Explorer\iexplore.exe.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 10, 2009
  5. How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

    angela g wrote:
    <snip>
    > I tried today to uninstall IE to reinstall with both 32 and 64 bit
    > version.
    > Guess what, it's not listed on the Add and Uninstall Programs in Ctrl
    > Panel.

    <snip>

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 11, 2009
  6. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, PA Bear.

    And we might point out for those of us using Windows 7 that this KB article
    DOES NOT APPLY TO WINDOWS 7.

    Just as IE7 is an integral part of Vista, IE8 is an integral part of Win7
    and can't be uninstalled (by us mere mortals).

    But IE8 can be uninstalled from WinXP and Vista, reverting those Windows
    installations to whatever was there before IE8 was installed.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 11, 2009
  7. R. C. White

    angela g Guest

    Thanks, Dominic, (and everyone else), I had just deleted the shortcut (which
    I'd considered a possibility but I could only find the one IExplorer.exe when
    I looked before posting my previous msg. (Duh! I forgot that I had both a
    regular Programs folder and and a 32-bit one. Yes, this is my first time to
    use 64-bit PC).

    So PA Bear and Dominic, I didn't need to test uninstalling IE. (Which I
    should've googled how to do when it wasn't obvious when I tried before.)

    Thanks, folks, for great answers, suggestions, and patience!

    angela g, Sep 11, 2009