Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 8, 2009.

  1. [[Forwarded to Win 64-bit General via crosspost]]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 8, 2009

  2. All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
    32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default browser.

    You can download IE8 @
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

    You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
    64-bit and 1 32-bit.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 8, 2009

  3. [I'm not sure Angela was referring to IE8 here but YMMV]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 8, 2009
  4. If Angela wishes to download IE the only choice for Vista is IE8.
    Microsoft does not offer a download link for IE7 for Vista as it was
    included in the release of Vista. Perhaps it could be reinstalled in
    the Add/Remove features from Vista?.

    All this information can be found by going to www.microsoft.com and
    entering what you wish to search for in the search box at the top of the
    page.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 9, 2009
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Another possibility:
    http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?old_internet_explorer=16

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Sep 9, 2009
  6. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Angela.

    No problem at all! ;<)

    ALL 64-bit versions of Vista come with TWO complete versions of IE7. You
    should find them at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iexplore.exe - the 32-bit (x86) version
    C:\Program Files\iexplore.exe - the 64-bit (x64) version

    Microsoft sets the 32-bit version as default, even on 64-bit Vista.

    When you download IE8, you get BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions; again, the
    32-bit version runs by default, even on 64-bit Vista.

    Win7 x64 comes with BOTH versions of IE8 and - again - the 32-bit version
    runs by default.

    You can run the 64-bit version of either IE7 or IE8 just like you run any
    other application: browse to Program Files (NOT x86) and click on
    iexplore.exe. Or create a shortcut, or pin it to the Start menu or the
    Taskbar - or any of the other ways to run an application.

    When IE7 or IE8 is running, click Help | About Internet Explorer. If the
    64-bit edition is running, it will say, for example:
    Version 8.0.7600.16385 64-bit Edition

    If the 32-bit version is running, it will say:
    Version 8.0.7600.16385

    In other words, the 32-bit edition does not even mention "bitness". So if
    it doesn't say "64-bit", then you are running the 32-bit edition. And, yes,
    you can run both versions at the same time, side by side on the same
    desktop. See the attached screenshot, especially the two
    not-quite-identical "About..." boxes.

    A few applications, such as Adobe Flash, will not run in 64-bit IE. But
    they will run just fine in 32-bit IE in a 64-bit Vista or Win7. (I don’t
    know about WinXP x64 because I haven't run that in over 3 years.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 9, 2009
  7. [THX for jumping in here, RC!]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 9, 2009
  8. "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > If Angela wishes to download IE the only choice for Vista is IE8.
    > Microsoft does not offer a download link for IE7 for Vista as it was
    > included in the release of Vista. Perhaps it could be reinstalled in the
    > Add/Remove features from Vista?.
    >
    > All this information can be found by going to www.microsoft.com and
    > entering what you wish to search for in the search box at the top of the
    > page.
    >

    > PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    >> [I'm not sure Angela was referring to IE8 here but YMMV]
    >>
    >> Bobby Johnson wrote:
    >>> All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
    >>> 32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default
    >>> browser.
    >>>
    >>> You can download IE8 @
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx
    >>>
    >>> You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
    >>> 64-bit and 1 32-bit.

    The only time you will see an app like IE in Uninstall a Program (aka
    Add/Remove) is if the app was user installed subsequent to the OS setup.
    The user cannot uninstall IE7 from Vista because there was no earlier IE
    installed to roll back to. That is why you also do not see .net framework
    2.0 or 3.0 in Uninstall a Program but will see 3.5 if present, because it is
    always user installed later.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 10, 2009
  9. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Robear.

    You're welcome, of course. But now the plot thickens!

    In my first Reply, I intended to attach a screenshot - but I forgot to do
    it. So I drafted a second Reply with only the screenshot and a short
    explanation - but that message was rejected because my .jpg was too big -
    over 400 KB. So I cut the .jpg down to about 65 KB and Sent it again. Now
    it shows up in my Sent Items - and in the IE.general NG - but it has never
    appeared in the 64-bit NG.

    I guess it's no longer important because Angela reports success, but I'm
    curious as to why my smaller .jpg post never got to the 64-bit NG. I seldom
    visit IE.gen and wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't specifically looked for
    it there.

    RC

    R. C. White, Sep 10, 2009
  10. "R. C. White" <> wrote in message news:%...
    > Hi, Robear.
    >
    > You're welcome, of course. But now the plot thickens!
    >
    > In my first Reply, I intended to attach a screenshot - but I forgot to do
    > it. So I drafted a second Reply with only the screenshot and a short
    > explanation - but that message was rejected because my .jpg was too big -
    > over 400 KB. So I cut the .jpg down to about 65 KB and Sent it again.

    > Now it shows up in my Sent Items - and in the IE.general NG - but it has never
    > appeared in the 64-bit NG.

    Post the Message-ID. FWIW I haven't seen any attachments from you
    in IE General yet. E.g. as checked in OE with Ctrl-Shift-F, Alt-r white
    Alt-h, Enter.

    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Sep 11, 2009
  11. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Robert.

    I'm not sure what a Message-ID is, but in the headers for my "Sent" message
    that included the screenshot, I found this:
    <#>
    <>

    Is that what you meant?

    That message still hasn't shown up here in the 64-bit.general NG - or in
    ie.general, either. So I don't where "in the Cloud?" it might be. The
    Message Source (Ctrl+F3) for it says, "This is a multi-part message in MIME
    format." But that probably doesn’t mean anything in this context, does it?

    I guess it doesn't matter anymore, since Angela has solved her problem. But
    it is a bit mysterious, isn't it?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 12, 2009
  12. "R. C. White" <> wrote in message news:%...
    > Hi, Robert.
    >
    > I'm not sure what a Message-ID is, but in the headers for my "Sent" message
    > that included the screenshot, I found this:
    > <#>
    > <>
    >
    > Is that what you meant?

    My comment was in reference to what you meant by

    <quote>
    - and in the IE.general NG -
    </quote>

    In order for us to try to see your post (the one that contains the attachment)
    we need to know *its* Message-ID. But you can't get it from your Sent Items
    because what you have in there is messages *before* each is given its Message-ID.

    Note that all posts in a newsgroup have a Message-ID: header.
    Only ones which are responses have a References: header as well.
    Again, you won't be able to see your post's Message-ID until you actually
    see it in the newsgroup.

    BTW when you're using OE or WLMail you should be able to extract
    the Message-ID as a news: link to it simply by starting a reply to it.
    E.g. by pressing Ctrl-g and extracting it from that new post's first line.

    > That message still hasn't shown up here in the 64-bit.general NG - or in
    > ie.general, either.

    Ah, so then you won't have a Message-ID to show us,
    so to all intents and purposes it was never sent,
    unless you can find it on Google Groups (which you probably can't
    because it had an attachment) or if someone else has replied to it
    in which case you could extract your Message-ID from that post's
    last References: item. Another possibility would be that your post
    actually got propagated to another news server on USENET and
    then someone who sees it there could copy it back as an attachment.

    > So I don't where "in the Cloud?" it might be. The
    > Message Source (Ctrl+F3) for it says, "This is a multi-part message in MIME
    > format." But that probably doesnt mean anything in this context, does it?

    It means that you don't use UUEncode for attachments when posting
    news in Plain text. ; )

    > I guess it doesn't matter anymore, since Angela has solved her problem. But

    > it is a bit mysterious, isn't it?

    Maybe. ; )

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Sep 12, 2009
  13. I have a similar problem but with Windows 7 64 bit fromwhich I uninstalled
    erroneously the 32bit vesion of IE (now I need to reinstall it as Flash
    Player does not work on IE 8 64 bit). My problem is that after downloading
    the IE 8 installation file for Win Vista 64 bit (I didn't find any for Win 7
    64 bit) when oushing the "Run" button on request, the message "This version
    of Internet explorer is not compatible with this version of Windows" (or
    alike)
    How can I reinstall IE 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit?

    Attilio Brighenti, Mar 31, 2010
  14. You cannot uninstall IE8 32-bit (or IE8 64-bit) in Win7 but you can disable
    access to it.

    Re-enable access via
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

    Also see this discussion about Win7 64-bit and Flash:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 31, 2010
  15. IE8, both 32-bit and 64-bit, is part of Windows 7 by default and you
    certainly can't install the Vista version. To re-enable IE8, go to Control
    Panel, Programs and Features, and select Turn Windows Features On or Off
    from the left hand pane. Make sure the box next to Internet Explorer 8 is
    checked.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel