Re: Where can I get a black Fujifilm FinePix F100fd?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Quinton, Sep 2, 2008.

  1. Quinton

    Quinton Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:18:53 -0400, "Bob Donahue" <> wrote:

    >The Fuji web site claims the F100fd is available in both black and silver,
    >but does not give separate model numbers. The online stores only show the
    >camera in silver. Does anyone know where I can order this camera in black?
    >(For some reason, cameras just look more professional with a black finish.
    >Remember the Nikon F in black?)

    It only looks more professional with black because today's pros are idiots that
    don't realize that black absorbs more thermal radiation faster and drives it
    deeper into the camera faster than silver or white. Then taking it longer for
    the CCD/CMOS chip to cool down for lower noise levels in their images. Black
    camera bodies are the enemy to better digital imaging. Film not being as subject
    to image degradation due to higher temperatures, for this reason the color of
    the camera was a non-issue when "pro-black" first became popularized. Black only
    became a "pro" color because they were trying to disguise the size of their SLR
    cameras so as not to alert everyone within 3 kilometers that they were taking
    photos. Subduing reflections being only a secondary reason, since most real
    "pros" know how to avoid reflections in the first place, no matter the color of
    the camera. It is only idiots that don't know how to avoid reflections in things
    and instead want to depend on their camera color for that--you know, all those
    "pros" that want their cameras in the color of "pro-idiot black".

    If you are more interested in looking like a pro-idiot than obtaining better
    quality digital images, then by all means, do try to find the black model for
    yourself.
    Quinton, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Quinton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:15:08 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

    > And finally, geez, if somebody wants a black camera, why the frig do you
    > care?

    Does the CHDK/Anti-DSLR sock puppet need a reason to care? At
    least this time it's attacking itself, so to speak.
    ASAAR, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Quinton

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    The black camera fad predates the widespread popularity of SLRs. IIRC, the
    first factory-supplied black 35mm pro camera was an extra-cost version of the
    Leica M-3, but some pros had been painting their cameras black at least a year
    or two earlier. (Black cameras for amateurs were already common.) You're right
    that it was to avoid attracting attention, but I doubt that it achieved that
    objective very effectively, except possibly in wildlife photography.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Quinton

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:15:08 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : Of course the real reason pro equipment is black, and that pros tend to
    : wear black is so they don't appear in reflections in product shots or
    : other shots with shiny surfaces.

    That sounds like a perfectly plausible reason for using a black camera, but
    it's not the one the pros who originated the fad gave at the time. They said
    it was to keep sunlight reflecting off the camera from distracting the
    subject.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 6, 2008