Re: Where can I find 32 bit Internet Explorer for XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Robert Aldwinckle, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. (cross-post added to 64bit general)
    "korkman" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > That just reloads the 32-bit IE that doesn't work correctly.

    Elaborate on your symptoms please and explain how you "removed" IE 32-bit
    from your system. Often when posters say this what they think they did
    is not what actually happened.

    > When I do the HELP, it doesn't show a version, product ID, etc, they are
    > blank.

    That could imply something entirely different, such as broken scripting support.

    What happens if you Run... iexplore.exe -nohome
    and click on the Stop button? Hint: watch the Status bar, Title bar and Address bar
    as well as the display area of the window.

    For more clues about what that did, open the TIF Viewer, sorted by Last Accessed.
    E.g. in IE: Tools, Options, Settings, View Files (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V)
    and then View, Arrange Icons by > Last Accessed

    Tip: you could get an even better picture of what is happening during those tests
    by running ProcMon, especially if you have a second normal trace to compare
    it to.

    BTW I don't have your OS so I don't know exactly how IE should be configured on it.
    Cross-posting to 64bit.general. OP pasted for convenience of new readers.

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    > Thanks
    > larry
    > "Viktor Krammer" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Larry,
    >>
    >> The 32-bit IE is located here
    >>
    >> C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Viktor Krammer

    <paste>
    "korkman" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I had to remove the 32 bit IE that came with my computer. I have tried to
    > download 32 bit versions of IE and they all give a message that it will not
    > run on a 64 bit, anyone know where the 32 bit that runs on a 64 bit xp
    > thanks
    > larry

    </paste>

    Robert Aldwinckle, Apr 21, 2008

  2. Robert Aldwinckle

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Larry (the OP).

    >I had to remove the 32 bit IE that came with my computer.

    As Robert said, IE is NOT removable from any version of Windows - at least,
    not by us mere mortals. IE7 is an integral part of Vista. IE6 won't run on
    Vista, but it is an integral part of WinXP and can be upgraded to IE7 by a
    download from Microsoft here:
    Internet Explorer 7 downloads
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

    That site apparently detects my 64-bit hardware because it tells ME:
    <paste>
    Based on your operating system, the version of Internet Explorer 7 below is
    best for your computer.

    Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows
    Server 2003 x64 Edition
    </paste>

    I've been running 64-bit CPUs for nearly 4 years and Vista Ultimate x64 for
    well over a year, and I ran both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of WinXP before
    that. The 32-bit version of IE7 runs on all of them. In fact, even Vista
    x64 defaults to the 32-bit version and it takes an extra (easy) step to
    Start the 64-bit version.

    To see which version of IE7 is running, click Help | About Internet
    Explorer. If you are running the 64-bit version, it will say "64-bit
    Edition" in the Version line. If it doesn't say 64-bit, then you are
    running the 32-bit version. (Don't get confused by the next line, which
    says Cipher Strength: 256-bit.)

    From WHERE did you download your copy of IE7? Maybe you got a bad download
    need to download it again.

    Final tip: Whenever you need help, please include at least a basic
    description of your hardware and operating system.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Apr 21, 2008

  3. Robert Aldwinckle

    piccolo Guest

    I have just bought a new Windows XP SP2 system and it is the 64 bit version.
    As with many folks, I rejected Vista because I wanted to avoid compatability
    issues; but I got them anyway. I downloaded the 64 bit version of IE7 and
    that works. I would like to install a 32 bit version of IE7 on this computer
    to use as the default browser since Adobe Flash does not work in a 64 bit
    environment and that cuts out a chuck of the content on the web.

    Where do I find a 32 bit IE7 and how do I install it so it works?
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo ()

    piccolo, Jun 25, 2008
  4. When you download and install the file for IE7 x64 you get
    both. This is because both IE6 x64 and IE6 x86 are in the
    base system of x64, so when you 'upgrade' to IE7 you get
    both in the same package.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Robert Aldwinckle

    piccolo Guest

    Bobby,

    Then how do I switch from the 64bit IE7 to the 32bit IE7? As is, my IE7 will
    not show movies on Youtube because they require Flash and Flash is not
    available in 64bit.
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo (Robert)

    piccolo, Jun 25, 2008
  6. the 32-bit ie7 should be the one that opens by default when
    you click on the ie icon. the 64-bit ie is noted on the
    start menu as such. if you have the 64-bit opening by
    default, then some has tinkered with the settings and caused
    it to be the default. so, how do you go about opening ie?

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 25, 2008
  7. Robert Aldwinckle

    piccolo Guest

    I click on the icon. Looking more closely at the program files, I have an
    Internet Explorer in both regular and X64 program directories; however they
    are the same build 7.0.6000.16674 and both show as 128-bit encription x64
    IE7.

    So I go back to my first question: what file do I need to download to get
    the 32 bit version that will work on XP 64bit?
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jun 25, 2008
  8. As was stated before: There "BOTH" versions in your system,
    both 32-bit and 64-bit. The icons at the top of the start
    panel, the one on the quick launch bar, and the one label
    "Internet Explorer" - without the (64-bit) - are ALL 32-bit
    version by DEFAULT.

    The only icon for the 64-bit version, by DEFAULT, is on the
    Start menu and it is labeled "Internet Explorer (64-bit)".

    If this is not the case on your computer, then someone has
    been dinkering around in the system settings and the
    Registry to change the DEFAULT.

    You don't need to install anything else, you just need to
    find out how the settings got changed.

    The 32-bit version that runs on Windows XP x64 is included
    in the package for Windows XP x64. They are BOTH in the
    same file - BOTH VERSIONS!

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 25, 2008
  9. Robert Aldwinckle

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Piccolo.

    By default, for 32-bit Windows XP and Vista, all program files are in
    C:\Program Files. So you would find 32-bit Internet Explorer at "C:\Program
    Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe".

    For WinXP x64 - and continued in Vista x64 - Microsoft's creative developers
    came up with the sensible idea of putting 32-bit and 64-bit applications
    into separate folders. But instead of leaving 32-bit apps in Program Files
    and creating a new Program Files (x64), they decided to put all the 64-bit
    apps into good old Program Files and create a new Program Files (x86) folder
    for all 32-bit apps. What a DUMB IDEA! - in my humble opinion, of course.

    Anyhow, in WinXP x64 and Vista x64, look for the two versions of IE here:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" - this is the 64-bit
    version
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" - this is the 32-bit
    version

    > So I go back to my first question: what file do I need to download to get
    > the 32 bit version that will work on XP 64bit?

    You should not need to download anything; both versions should already be
    there in either 64-bit OS.

    Using Windows Explorer, you can open the two folders and click on each IE
    app and have the two versions open side by side. In each of them, click
    Help | About Internet Explorer. On the version line, one will say "64-bit
    Edition"; the other will not mention its "bitness" at all. (I'm running IE8
    beta in Vista and that line says: "Version: 8.0.6001.17184 64-bit
    Edition" in one and just "Version: 8.0.6001.17184" in the other.)

    Now, as others have said, you can create shortcuts and icons for each of the
    versions, naming them however you like so that you can tell them apart. And
    you can have either of them as your default by simply editing the Target
    line in the shortcut's Properties to include "(x86)" or not.

    It's really quite simple - although it's confusing and takes a while to
    explain.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA