Re: Whats up with the pay phones

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. "John Hornblow" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > whats the goss on the telecom payphone bug?
    > Where they attempting to push out an software upgrade to all the
    > phones?
    > They say they are going to have to visit each phone and patch the
    > software.
    > They are a british design arnt they, probably having to get a few
    > poms out of bed
    > Whey dont they use roger?
    >
    > Y2K 3 years late?

    What's the bug?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 11, 2003

  2. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:24:21 GMT, (John Hornblow) wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:37:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>What's the bug?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Nicholas Sherlock
    >>

    >It seems the software code that reboots the phone every 24 hours has a
    >bug
    >but why some bug has come out now.
    >Its a classic Y2K bug 3 years late it seems...
    >
    >Get roger onto it, he'll sove it...

    Yes give every one a Cell phone..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 11, 2003

  3. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:37:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"

    John Hornblow, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Nicholas Sherlock

    art Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:47:24 +1200, Robert Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:24:21 GMT, (John Hornblow) wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:37:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What's the bug?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Nicholas Sherlock
    >>>

    >>It seems the software code that reboots the phone every 24 hours has a
    >>bug
    >>but why some bug has come out now.
    >>Its a classic Y2K bug 3 years late it seems...
    >>
    >>Get roger onto it, he'll sove it...
    >>

    >Yes give every one a Cell phone..

    Are Telecom obligated to providing pay phones in NZ? They must be
    expensive to maintain. I notice that they don't seem to advertise
    phone cards much these days.
    art, Aug 11, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > Are Telecom obligated to providing pay phones in NZ? They must be
    > expensive to maintain. I notice that they don't seem to advertise
    > phone cards much these days.

    I don't know where Telecom think they are getting off.

    We had some overseas visitors lately and we gave them some phone cards
    to use to call us when they reached the end of a walking track so
    we could go collect them.

    Payphone said: these phonecards are expired.

    Bloody hell, now they put expiry on phonecards? I am NOT impressed.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Nicholas Sherlock

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:47:24 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> >

    >> Are Telecom obligated to providing pay phones in NZ? They must be
    >> expensive to maintain. I notice that they don't seem to advertise
    >> phone cards much these days.
    >>

    >I don't know where Telecom think they are getting off.
    >
    >We had some overseas visitors lately and we gave them some phone cards
    >to use to call us when they reached the end of a walking track so
    >we could go collect them.
    >
    >Payphone said: these phonecards are expired.
    >
    >Bloody hell, now they put expiry on phonecards? I am NOT impressed.

    Yes, I found this out the hard way myself. It bites when you find
    that $21 worth of phone card is suddenly useless.

    Why should phone cards expire? Nice little racket going there. I am
    also definitely NOT impressed.
    GraB, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Nicholas Sherlock

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, GraB wrote...
    > Why should phone cards expire? Nice little racket going there. I am
    > also definitely NOT impressed.

    Probably brought in after the market for "collectible" cards collapsed
    and people were wanting to cash in old cards that they'd never used.
    colinco, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Nicholas Sherlock

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, Uncle
    StoatWarbler wrote...
    > God knows the plessey phones were easy enough to crash. I screwed one up
    > several different ways at one of the training centres, including finding
    > out the scotch tape trick. I wasn't at all surprised to find out that they
    > hadn't been fixed before being rolled out.

    I'd be interested to know if the same thing was possible in the UK as the
    phones were supposed to be safeguarded against that type of exploit.
    colinco, Aug 12, 2003
  9. On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:40:28 +1200, colinco wrote:

    > Probably brought in after the market for "collectible" cards collapsed
    > and people were wanting to cash in old cards that they'd never used.

    Nope, they had a 2 year expiry period on them for several years prior to
    that.

    The arguement given is that after fraudsters diddlled the values kept on
    the cards, Telecom resrted to only keeping serial numbers on the cards and
    tracking everything on a central database - and they didn't want it
    growing without bounds.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 12, 2003