Re: What's the big difference between YIQ, YUV, YCbCr, etc?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Comrade, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Comrade

    Comrade Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:32:21 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

    > To fully cover what you're asking would take hours of writing. Nobody
    > is likely to do that for you on Usenet when there are textbooks out that
    > that will answer your questions. If you want a full understanding of
    > this, find one of those textbooks. If you have a small specific
    > question ("What's the difference between YIQ and YUV?"), you might get
    > it answered here.

    the culimination of modern color science, in color specification is CIE
    hSL, these are the perceptual correlates by which artisans have always
    specified color, hue, saturation, lightness, and, in a device independent
    system, such is the optimal choice, for specification, and even order,
    since the first ordering of color by Munsell, if you are building a closed
    device oriented system, or propreitary closed system approach, then other
    means of color specification and order can be used, such as SWOP CMYK, is
    the most popular, in any aspect, as with Pantone, or CCIR709 RGB with
    display monitors, etc., AND THERE IS NO GENERAL RECCOMENDATION in the
    device independent sense, for a device centered model or system

    now, the choice of a color space for a device, is defined by the device,
    so I will not discuss this

    the choice of space for encoding, is a perceptually distributed space, and
    preferably the one with less computational error, from your working space
    of color specification, hSL, so, hSL is the optimal space, should you want
    to maintain the device independency of the file, if not, any perceptual
    derivative of your working space will do, simply the one with the least
    computational loss from what device space mentality you are trying to
    achieve

    now, for a device exchange space, or device interchange space, or profile
    connection space, the same rules of computational error mininization apply
    as with an encoding space, so hSL is the optimal choice here

    now, the ICC, www.color.org has chosen CIELAB instead of hSL, and you must
    understand you need CIELUV to derive a saturation correlate, CIELAB has
    not chromaticity diagram, and no percetual saturation correlate

    and such decisions were made by ICC, in perpetuation of previous models,
    like Adobe Photoshop, in order to "court" and "appease" certain "players"
    wth vested interests in the CIELAB paradigm, at the beginning, but it is
    most logical, that they evolve to hSL at this point

    --
    Comrade
    see my friend Average Joe's site

    "Does God want goodness? or the choice of goodness?
    Is the man who chooses bad, somehow better,
    than the man who has the good forced upon him?"
    a quote from the movie, A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick

    Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage.
    Tutelage is man's inability to make use of his understanding
    without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when
    its cause lies not in lack of reason but in lack of resolution
    and courage to use it without direction from another. Sapere aude!
    "Have courage to use your own reason!" - that is the motto
    of enlightenment.
    Kant -- What Is Enlightenment? 1784

    Ayn Rand just professed laissez faire, another Jewish mysticist
    of Zionist status quo social order, and aspiring to such, she
    never challenged "the establishment" she was a radical crony,
    not a radical individual, the very anti-thesis of individualism

    Comrade, Jul 12, 2003