Re: What's expected at Photokina?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by friend, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. friend

    friend Guest

    Photokina falls in even years, so there is 13 months to come. A lot
    will change in a mean time. Wait for prices to drop, technology to
    pick up. Since you are educated person, aim at something that lets you
    work with RAW format and TIFF. A choice of color space would be a
    great feature too. Quick and accurate autofocus, minimal shutter delay
    and at least 4 MP, 5 is better, 6 even more. Batteries!!!!
    Just wait.

    friend, Aug 13, 2003

  2. friend

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:32:40 GMT, friend wrote:

    > Photokina falls in even years, so there is 13 months to come. A lot
    > will change in a mean time. Wait for prices to drop, technology to

    Correct...but plan to by before teh end of the year.

    I'm embarrassed to say that I was mistakenly thinking that Photokina was
    coming up soon - oops! Of course, the first reply from Tony Spadaro was
    then obviously correct - Canon WILL come up with something new.

    All of your points are well taken. I used to think my ideal would be a DSLR
    that I could use my collection of lenses on, but with the zoom ranges
    available, I'm no longer interested in being such a purist and hauling
    around a lot of discrete lenses. :) I'm not sure the technology is
    going to advance so far in the directions important to meto jsutify
    waiting. For example, if pulling the video capability out would save in
    price, I'd be all for it. I'd be surprised if I ever use the video
    capability of whatever I buy.

    You are correct that RAW or TIFF (I'd rather see PNG) is essential. I save
    everythoing as an archived image in TIFF (or preferrably, PNG), then use a
    working copy for processing, and go to a resized.resampled JPEG at a
    quality level fitted to what I'm using it for. I think I can live with 4
    MP, but would ike 5 MP. I can live with manual focus, but if I'm stuck with
    autofocus, better be quick. Minimal shutter delay is a must.
    Batteries...that's why the Minolta DiMAGE series is out. Nikon is
    proprietary. Storage is also an issue otherwise the New Oly 750 would be a
    possibility. Not thrilled with the memnory stick either.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Optiker

    CR Optiker, Aug 14, 2003

  3. friend

    friend Guest

    if you want to replace film/SLR with a new digital camera, then wait.
    I almost got 5700 for myself, but had a second thought. I use 4500 at
    work, and it does work for most of my needs, except when I need real
    quality. The only benefit of 4500 is, no running cost. I can take as
    many pics as possible, but not many are satisfying. I cannot get
    anything comparable with Fuji slide films, when I take pics of
    flowers. In particular red and pink/violet. In my view the current
    digital cameras are OK for recording events (if I have a car smash,
    for example)or quickie to be seen on a monitor.

    friend, Aug 15, 2003