Re: what your thoughts on these andriod epads/apads

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Nov 14, 2010.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-11-14, Information <> wrote:

    > Keep seeing these things advertised for £80 to £140
    > look pretty similiar to ipad !
    >
    > seem decent enough for internet surfing ???? but are they ?????
    >
    > cant find any that take a sim card ? for tru mobilty
    >
    > are thi like netbooks , pretty much a waste of cash ?/
    >
    > imagine so
    >
    > advise appeciated , bearing in mind these things
    > are likely aimed at just email and internet surfers

    Given that a smartphone costs a lot more than that and isn't exactly a
    'desktop replacement' for anything web-related, and that Android's current
    version can't really cope with screens larger VGA resolution, I'd expect
    the cheapo 'tablets' to be in a similar class to the £100 MIPS-based
    netbooks that were around a year or so ago. But without a keyboard. I
    did get one of those, and it's tolerable for email but pretty hopeless for
    web browsing (my smartphone is a lot better, despite having a much smaller
    screen) and the battery life isn't very good either.

    If there are USB sockets, one of them might work with a mobile internet
    dongle - but don't assume, ask!

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 14, 2010