Re: What would you charge?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by ap, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. ap

    ap Guest

    Was there an agreed upon price from the start? Call the local best buy or
    circuit city and see what they would charge. Knock it back a few dollars
    and they should be happy. Good service at a good price will keep you busy
    with work and the customer happy.

    ap, Mar 4, 2004

  2. I would charge minimum $250. There's a lot of time involved in what you
    described.

    Anthony Spiteri, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Most of the US techs I know charge $40 - $60 per hour. They also round down
    the hours for a bit of customer goodwill - i.e. only charge 3 hours if it
    took 3.5 (I do this too)

    JM

    ---

    Jonathan Miles, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Do you get much business Anthony?

    David

    David BlandIII, Mar 4, 2004
  5. ap

    PJS Guest

    When I first saw your message I was thinking about your out-laws. Glad
    you're getting regular work.

    PJS, Mar 4, 2004
  6. ap

    James Guest

    $250 for setting up the computer? Here in Canada you can get a decent
    computer for $299, that comes with everything installed and ready to go.

    I would charge $50 MAX
    install windows...takes what 5 minutes of hitting the next button?
    fdisk, also 5 minutes if you know what your doing
    downloading updates, 10 minutes max...assuming you have a high speed
    connection, but who doesn't?
    delivery, what $5 of gas?
    $250 for under 30 minutes work.
    OUCH

    James, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Realistically,

    The whole job could take about two hours max with no major problems.
    But I'm sort of in your camp on this one James. Installing a few apps takes
    few mins. as far as time goes. OS install 45 mins to one hour. Modem install
    15 mins. Murphy's Law 45 mins. I build entire PCs for just twice that much.
    Personally I'd take a beating before I'd shell out over $100 for the whole
    shebang. (did I spell that right?) :)

    However I can see where someone might reasonably charge, say, $60 an hour
    and then throw in say a $25 delivery charge for a total MAX of around $150.
    But even that would make my stomach bubble as a PC owner. LOL.

    Just this humble narrator's 2 cents worth.

    David

    David BlandIII, Mar 5, 2004
  8. On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:55:20 GMT, "James" <> wrote:

    >$250 for setting up the computer? Here in Canada you can get a decent
    >computer for $299, that comes with everything installed and ready to go.

    Where?

    >I would charge $50 MAX
    >install windows...takes what 5 minutes of hitting the next button?
    >fdisk, also 5 minutes if you know what your doing
    >downloading updates, 10 minutes max...assuming you have a high speed
    >connection, but who doesn't?
    >delivery, what $5 of gas?
    >$250 for under 30 minutes work.
    >OUCH

    I think you're underestimating this...it took me 40 minutes to do 10
    minutes work on my mother's computer two days ago, and I knew exactly
    what I had to do. It's very different to have 10+ computers cooking on
    a bench, where the computers are doing all of the work, but with a
    single computer, every reboot eats up/wastes time...a 20 minute drive
    becomes 40 if you have a flat tire, have to cross a bridge that has
    one lane blocked, etc...JMTC.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 6, 2004
  9. ap

    Gary Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 04:16:56 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Something that's not been mentioned is the hour required to go to the
    >mfgr's web site (computer mfgr. or various motherboard / sound / video /
    >network card / printer / etc. mfgr.) and download all of the LATEST
    >drivers for whatever is in the computer in question.

    That's a really good point. I had a customer where Compusa told them
    they didn't need the recovery CD's any more. Unfornuately when Comp
    reinstalled there OS, they didn't have the correct video driver
    installed and the customer didn't have the recovery cd any more
    because Comp kept them. So I did have to do a little detective work
    for NC. Just part of the job. Gary

    Gary, Mar 6, 2004
  10. On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:47:24 -0500, "Kathy" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for that Tom :) I was beginning to think maybe I wasn't fast
    >enough *LOL*

    My mother paid me for that call too...Mom's meatballs and sauce,
    always a favourite of mine. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 6, 2004