Re: What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with?.........

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. Igor wrote:

    >>> Sony (Betamax) practically guaranteed failure by
    >>> refusing to licence the format to other manufacturers,
    >>> and by waiting way too long before admiting that a
    >>> 60-minute running time probably wasn't enough. By
    >>> then there were thousands of Hollywood movie titles
    >>> availble on VHS because they wouldn't fit on Betamax.

    >> It's kinda like how LCD is being forced on the masses.

    > I don't think LCDs are being forced on the masses. I think they became
    > more popular than CRTs largely for reasons of convenience and
    > ergonomics.

    Really, LCDs are being forced upon the public. LCDs are cheaper to
    manufacture and easier to handle, have less longevity for quicker
    replacement, and have less of an environmental impact for recycling. CRTs
    are almost a nightmare to get rid of since most landfill have considered
    them hazardous waste and banned them.

    >> Ah, what the hell, once all the CRTs are gone nobody will
    >> remember what a good monitor looks like.

    > That's true, unfortunately. I need a new monitor, and when I started
    > shopping for one, I had taken it for granted that I would be getting
    > another LCD. When I was looking at monitors in a big box store, I
    > noticed a lone CRT sitting in a corner and went up to examine it. I
    > was blown away by the image quality, compared to all the latest and
    > greatest LCD monitors I had been looking at (and this was a cheap,
    > off-brand CRT). I had gotten accustomed to the "grainy" appearence of
    > LCD monitors and had completely forgotten how good photos look on a
    > CRT.

    Yep, and as good as the best LCD is they still have the fluorescent
    backlight color corrected it is still fluorescent light and the light
    spectrum can be "spikey" as one of our resident geniuses has pointed out a
    while back.

    > So now I'm determined to get a CRT monitor, no matter how far out of
    > my way I have to go to get one, but I don't think most people care
    > enough about image quality that they would do the same. Within a few
    > years, CRTs will be a technological artifact and everyone will have
    > come to accept the "look" of CRTs as normal.

    I agree that people are getting less concerned about image quality. This is
    evident with most of the images we see posted in these groups. Any really,
    once it gets to the point everyone has an LCD TV we will all be on the same
    crappy playing field and never know the difference.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 4, 2007

  2. On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 08:28:03 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >I agree that people are getting less concerned about image quality. This is
    >evident with most of the images we see posted in these groups. Any really,
    >once it gets to the point everyone has an LCD TV we will all be on the same
    >crappy playing field and never know the difference.

    Where are your photos posted, "Rita" ?

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 4, 2007

  3. Raphael Bustin wrote:

    >> I agree that people are getting less concerned about image quality.
    >> This is evident with most of the images we see posted in these
    >> groups. Any really, once it gets to the point everyone has an LCD
    >> TV we will all be on the same crappy playing field and never know
    >> the difference.

    > Where are your photos posted, "Rita" ?

    Google is your friend.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 4, 2007
  4. On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:56:13 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >Raphael Bustin wrote:
    >
    >>> I agree that people are getting less concerned about image quality.
    >>> This is evident with most of the images we see posted in these
    >>> groups. Any really, once it gets to the point everyone has an LCD
    >>> TV we will all be on the same crappy playing field and never know
    >>> the difference.

    >> Where are your photos posted, "Rita" ?

    >Google is your friend.

    Generally speaking yes, but not when dealing with
    a liar and a troll operating under a fictitious name.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 4, 2007
  5. Raphael Bustin wrote:

    >>> Where are your photos posted, "Rita" ?

    >> Google is your friend.

    > Generally speaking yes, but not when dealing with
    > a liar and a troll operating under a fictitious name.

    You're acting like this is a problem and a concern of mine? Tell it to
    someone that really cares. Come back when you have something better to add.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 4, 2007
  6. On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:14:26 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >>> Google is your friend.

    >> Generally speaking yes, but not when dealing with
    >> a liar and a troll operating under a fictitious name.

    >You're acting like this is a problem and a concern of mine? Tell it to
    >someone that really cares. Come back when you have something better to add.

    Google search on "Rita Berkowitz photo" or
    "Rita Berkowitz gallery" came up with nothing.

    You're dissing other people's posted photos
    without showing your own. In other words, you're
    blowing hot air and trolling, as usual, "Rita."

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 5, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message

    >>> It's kinda like how LCD is being forced on the masses.

    >> I don't think LCDs are being forced on the masses. I think they became
    >> more popular than CRTs largely for reasons of convenience and
    >> ergonomics.

    > Really, LCDs are being forced upon the public. LCDs are cheaper to
    > manufacture and easier to handle, have less longevity for quicker
    > replacement, and have less of an environmental impact for recycling. CRTs
    > are almost a nightmare to get rid of since most landfill have considered
    > them hazardous waste and banned them.
    >
    >>> Ah, what the hell, once all the CRTs are gone nobody will
    >>> remember what a good monitor looks like.

    >> That's true, unfortunately. I need a new monitor, and when I started
    >> shopping for one, I had taken it for granted that I would be getting
    >> another LCD. When I was looking at monitors in a big box store, I
    >> noticed a lone CRT sitting in a corner and went up to examine it. I
    >> was blown away by the image quality, compared to all the latest and
    >> greatest LCD monitors I had been looking at (and this was a cheap,
    >> off-brand CRT). I had gotten accustomed to the "grainy" appearence of
    >> LCD monitors and had completely forgotten how good photos look on a
    >> CRT.

    > Yep, and as good as the best LCD is they still have the fluorescent
    > backlight color corrected it is still fluorescent light and the light
    > spectrum can be "spikey" as one of our resident geniuses has pointed out a
    > while back.

    And CRTs are totally stable. Right. They drift, like any other constantly
    changing electronic device.

    >> So now I'm determined to get a CRT monitor, no matter how far out of
    >> my way I have to go to get one, but I don't think most people care
    >> enough about image quality that they would do the same. Within a few
    >> years, CRTs will be a technological artifact and everyone will have
    >> come to accept the "look" of CRTs as normal.

    > I agree that people are getting less concerned about image quality. This
    > is
    > evident with most of the images we see posted in these groups. Any
    > really,
    > once it gets to the point everyone has an LCD TV we will all be on the
    > same
    > crappy playing field and never know the difference.

    I doubt you'd be able to see the difference between a 1958 Magnavox and a
    1080p plasma display. Sorry, but once again your a full of shit troll who's
    knowledge does not extend beyond her fat ass in either direction.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 5, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Raphael Bustin" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:14:26 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    >>
    >>You're acting like this is a problem and a concern of mine? Tell it to
    >>someone that really cares. Come back when you have something better to
    >>add.

    > Google search on "Rita Berkowitz photo" or
    > "Rita Berkowitz gallery" came up with nothing.
    >
    > You're dissing other people's posted photos
    > without showing your own. In other words, you're
    > blowing hot air and trolling, as usual, "Rita."

    You forgot stupid and annoying.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 5, 2007
  9. Kinon O'Cann wrote:

    >> Yep, and as good as the best LCD is they still have the fluorescent
    >> backlight color corrected it is still fluorescent light and the light
    >> spectrum can be "spikey" as one of our resident geniuses has pointed
    >> out a while back.

    > And CRTs are totally stable. Right. They drift, like any other
    > constantly changing electronic device.

    My Sony has a precision TCXO in it and I know it doesn't drift. Weren't you
    the asshole that was ranting a while back about how "spikey" fluorescent
    light is?

    > I doubt you'd be able to see the difference between a 1958 Magnavox
    > and a 1080p plasma display. Sorry, but once again your a full of shit
    > troll who's knowledge does not extend beyond her fat ass in either
    > direction.

    Hell, I'd take the old Magnavox any day of the week over a crappy $4,000
    plasma. The problem with plasma is you can see the stinking pixels from 12'
    away. If I want the "window screen" effect I would go to Ace Hardware and
    pick up some window screen and wrap the Magnavox. I'll stick with the old
    Sony XBR LCD.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 5, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pete D Guest

    > On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:14:26 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    > @aol.com> wrote:

    >>> Generally speaking yes, but not when dealing with
    >>> a liar and a troll operating under a fictitious name.

    >>You're acting like this is a problem and a concern of mine? Tell it to
    >>someone that really cares. Come back when you have something better to
    >>add.

    > Google search on "Rita Berkowitz photo" or
    > "Rita Berkowitz gallery" came up with nothing.
    >
    > You're dissing other people's posted photos
    > without showing your own. In other words, you're
    > blowing hot air and trolling, as usual, "Rita."
    >

    > rafe b
    > www.terrapinphoto.com

    Actually one does not follow the other here. Just a like a football coach
    does not have to be an expert player he just has to be able to see what
    others need to be able to do and be able to tell them that info, art coaches
    are no different. I am not saying that what he may have said was good or bad
    advice I am just saying that you do not need to be able to take the worlds
    best photos to be able to see that a photo may not be that good or in your
    own opinion it is not something that you like.

    Equally those that post in newsgroups (what were they thinking) must realise
    that they are soliciting comment and will need to have their own idiot
    filter, I would also expect them to be somewhat thick skinned becasue
    posting in an unmoderated public forum is bound to attract comment that may
    not all be glowing praise, why would you expect anything less?

    Generally speaking I choose not to post to many pictures here but post quite
    freely on forums where people still tell me what they like and what they do
    not, even there I am likely to get comments about the frame I used.

    Get over it and get out and shoot for yourself.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Nov 5, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:

    > And CRTs are totally stable. Right. They drift, like any other
    > constantly changing electronic device.

    That's why I recalibrate from time to time.

    Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    over $999?

    Bill Tuthill, Nov 5, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message
    > Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:
    >>
    >> And CRTs are totally stable. Right. They drift, like any other
    >> constantly changing electronic device.

    > That's why I recalibrate from time to time.
    >
    > Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    > with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    > over $999?

    HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply excellent.
    Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of these extensively,
    and it's really nice.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 5, 2007
  13. Kinon O'Cann wrote:

    >>> And CRTs are totally stable. Right. They drift, like any other
    >>> constantly changing electronic device.

    >> That's why I recalibrate from time to time.
    >>
    >> Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    >> with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    >> over $999?

    > HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply
    > excellent. Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of
    > these extensively, and it's really nice.

    No wonder you are so adamant about pushing LCDs. You bought a piece of crap
    and you're trying to save face by telling yourself you got something good.
    LOL! What a fool.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 6, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:

    >> Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    >> with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    >> over $999?

    > HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply excellent.
    > Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of these extensively,
    > and it's really nice.

    Thanks! Only $530, way under my asking price.

    With LCD monitors, is it totally necessary to get color calibration hardware,
    such as the Pantone Huey?

    We have some sh1tbag Dell LCD monitor at home, and although I'm really good
    at color balancing, I can't get the thing to respond right. Always some
    color crossover, as we used to say in the bad old days of film photography.
    In other words, highlights are pink but shadows are green, etc. But it's
    worse than that because it's more than a simple red/green issue.

    Bill Tuthill, Nov 6, 2007
  15. Bill Tuthill wrote:

    >> HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply
    >> excellent. Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of
    >> these extensively, and it's really nice.

    > Thanks! Only $530, way under my asking price.

    One major suggestion. Try before you buy. It would suck blowing 5 skins on
    something you don't like because you took the advice of someone with
    questionable skills and reputation.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 6, 2007
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    >>> That's why I recalibrate from time to time.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    >>> with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    >>> over $999?

    >> HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply
    >> excellent. Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of
    >> these extensively, and it's really nice.

    > No wonder you are so adamant about pushing LCDs. You bought a piece of
    > crap
    > and you're trying to save face by telling yourself you got something good.
    > LOL! What a fool.

    Didn't pay a dime for it. Never have paid for a piece of computer gear.

    Fat ass fool.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 6, 2007
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    > Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Anyway Kinon, could you suggest a good LCD widescreen monitor
    >>> with high resolution and rotational capability that doesn't cost
    >>> over $999?

    >> HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply
    >> excellent.
    >> Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of these extensively,
    >> and it's really nice.

    > Thanks! Only $530, way under my asking price.
    >
    > With LCD monitors, is it totally necessary to get color calibration
    > hardware,
    > such as the Pantone Huey?

    Yes, but skip the Huey, it's not very good. Get a better and more capable
    unit, like the ColorEyes Pro software with any of the supported
    colorimeters, like the DTP94 unit from Monaco.

    Once calibrated, it's really nice. And pay no attention to Rita the troll;
    she's just looking to hook you into a stupid argument. I'll handle it.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 6, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    > Bill Tuthill wrote:
    >
    >>> HP 2465. It's an S-PVA panel which, when calibrated, looks simply
    >>> excellent. Full 1920 x 1200 resolution, as well. I've used one of
    >>> these extensively, and it's really nice.

    >> Thanks! Only $530, way under my asking price.

    > One major suggestion. Try before you buy. It would suck blowing 5 skins
    > on
    > something you don't like because you took the advice of someone with
    > questionable skills and reputation.

    No shit, fat ass. One thing I will admit, though, is that your skills and
    reputation are without question. They suck. Anything you've posted here
    sucks, and your opinions are total lies.

    What kind of panel is in the NEC 2490? Did you ever figure it out, asswipe?
    I'd hate to see a common fat-ass troll disuade people from getting good gear
    just because of your stupidity.

    Now please, post something else stupid for the world to see.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 6, 2007
  19. Kinon O'Cann wrote:

    > What kind of panel is in the NEC 2490?

    Not a very good one. They have outsourced panels from Samsung and LG.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 6, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    >
    >> What kind of panel is in the NEC 2490?

    > Not a very good one. They have outsourced panels from Samsung and LG.

    Congratulations! Once again, you've proved your ignorance!

    Moron.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 7, 2007