Re: What to Do if Your Web Site Has Been Hacked by Phishers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

    > Some phishers use compromised computers to host malicious or illegal
    > activities, including identity theft, fraudulent financial activities,
    > as well as collecting personal information and business identities from
    > their victims for future use.
    >
    > Others attack or “hack†into and gain administrative control over
    > the legitimate web sites1 of businesses and organizations of all sizes.
    > Such hacked web sites disguise the bad acts the phishers perform. More
    > importantly, web site hackers are fully aware that the web sites they
    > hack and “own†are reputably legitimate. Law enforcement and
    > antiâ€phishing responders respect and operate under established
    > business, technical, and legal constraints when they seek to remedy or
    > take down hacked web sites.
    >
    > These measures protect legitimate web site operators but unfortunately
    > serve the attacker as well by extending the duration of the attack.
    >
    > The Antiâ€Phishing Working Group (APWG) offers this document as a
    > reference guide for any web site owner or operator who suspects,
    > discovers, or receives notification that its web site is being used to
    > host a phishing site. The document explains important incident response
    > measures to take in the areas of identification, notification,
    > containment, recovery, restoration, and followâ€up when an attack is
    > suspected or confirmed.
    >

    > http://www.antiphishing.org/reports/APWG_WTD_HackedWebsite.pdf
    >
    > --
    > Dave (this is a public information announcement)

    An appreciated post. Far too little of that here. However, the proper root
    is crack. There is at least one current book that uses the term "Unix
    Hacking" and talks exclusively about programming. This is the original and
    AFAIK the only valid definition of the word in a computer context. There
    is also the term phreaking which refers to breaking into the phone system
    by the touch tone system, which may be closer than crack which *was* used
    to refer to the removal of copy protection from commercial software. There's
    also the term unprotect - which undoes the check for such protection. I mention
    the last for completeness only. Both of these involve programming of course.
    Usually machine language as source code wouldn't be available naturally.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 10, 2009