    BG250 Guest

    Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb.
    My friend lost nearly all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad.
    He recovered only 7 of the 70 shots.

    With many smaller cards, if one goes belly up, the loss is not as severe.
    bg

    BG250, Aug 17, 2003

  2. BG250

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb.
    > My friend lost nearly all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad.
    > He recovered only 7 of the 70 shots.
    >
    > With many smaller cards, if one goes belly up, the loss is not as severe.
    > bg

    Interesting -- this fits in with another current thread about the
    failure rate of flash memory cards. The general consensus is that this
    almost never happens. Losing cards however is probably much more common.
    So what has a better chance of happening? Having a card failure one one
    card or losing one out of several?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 17, 2003

  3. BG250

    james Guest

    Todd, maybe the card's file system was corrupted somehow. (card removed
    while camera still writing to it?) And that was what happened in his case
    instead of an actual card failure.
    james

    james, Aug 17, 2003
  4. BG250

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:36:25 -0500, BG250 wrote:

    > Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb. My friend lost nearly
    > all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad. He recovered only
    > 7 of the 70 shots.

    yes, I am leaning towards buying multiple 256 or 512 MB cards-- then
    change them sort of like changing rolls of film. Less chance of losing
    all the photos on a card by an accidental memcard format or stolen
    camera, etc. 512MB seems cheap ($80) so I will likely go that size for
    now.
    Beowulf, Aug 17, 2003
  5. BG250

    Tom Scales Guest

    Good God you have a bad attitude. Accusing me of lying? The content of my
    post stands. I just made a typo because the post to which I was replying
    referred to a 10D. I have a D100, which IS capable of producing TIFF files
    in the camera. An extremely handy feature if you want to immediately
    exchange the card with someone who does not have access to a program to
    convert the RAW files. I'm a bit surprised the 10D lacks what is a critical
    feature for me. Guess I made the right choice.

    Is this your normal way of dealing with people? When someone makes a small
    mistake when they are speaking to you do you immediately accuse them of
    lying? Paranoia is a sign of many more serious problems.

    Tom
    > In article <>, says...
    > > I agree with smaller cards, but if you're going to use RAW or TIFF,

    don't
    > > bother with 128MB or 256MB with a D100 or 10D caliber camera. For a

    complex
    > > set of reasons, I'm shooting TIFF rather than RAW on my new 10D. 25

    pics or

    Tom Scales, Aug 17, 2003
  6. BG250

    Todd Walker, Aug 17, 2003
  7. BG250

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Good God you have a bad attitude. Accusing me of lying? The content of my
    > post stands. I just made a typo because the post to which I was replying
    > referred to a 10D. I have a D100, which IS capable of producing TIFF files
    > in the camera. An extremely handy feature if you want to immediately
    > exchange the card with someone who does not have access to a program to
    > convert the RAW files. I'm a bit surprised the 10D lacks what is a critical
    > feature for me. Guess I made the right choice.
    >
    > Is this your normal way of dealing with people? When someone makes a small
    > mistake when they are speaking to you do you immediately accuse them of
    > lying? Paranoia is a sign of many more serious problems.

    Tom,

    You are absolutely right. My response was uncalled for and I apologize.
    I had just worked in the yard in 100+ degree heat for about 3 hours and
    my brain evidently wasn't working properly :)

    With all the similar model numbers out there -- 1D, 1Ds, D1, D1X, D1H,
    10D, D100, etc ad nauseum, I can see the confusion.

    Please accept my apology.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 18, 2003
  8. BG250

    Tom Scales Guest

    My apologies too. I over-reacted.

    Both the D100 and 10D are excellent. I chose the D100 because of the
    12-24/4, which is an incredible lens.

    Having lots of fun!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 18, 2003
  9. BG250

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > My apologies too. I over-reacted.
    >
    > Both the D100 and 10D are excellent. I chose the D100 because of the
    > 12-24/4, which is an incredible lens.
    >
    > Having lots of fun!
    >
    > Tom

    Having a blast with my 10D as well. I've had it for just over 2 1/2
    weeks and I love it already -- most cameras take a bit longer to get
    comfortable with. I do wish Canon would come out with something like the
    Nikon 12-24 though. I get a little envious about that one ;-)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 18, 2003
  10. BG250

    Tom Scales Guest

    It's really a Mercedes vs. BMW argument though. Both are excellent cameras
    and they keep leapfrogging each other.

    The only sobering thought is that neither camera will be worth anything in
    two years....

    Course they'll still take excellent shots!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 18, 2003