Re: What resolution should I scan photos at?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Barry Watzman, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. Generally 300 DPI, but for a relatively small photo, sometimes 600 dpi.
    It would help to know what your intended use of the photo in the
    future is. With respect to a "small" vs. "large" photo, 4x6 is right on
    the borderline.

    Scan at 24 bit or higher color.

    If you are saving this as a JPEG, set the JPEG compression relatively
    low, to yield a final FILE SIZE of 1/2 to a full megabyte (which, for a
    4x6, should give you a high quality image). You may need to save it,
    look at the file size, then scan it again after adjusting the
    compression, and go through this exercise more than once.

    Also of great importance is to get the exposure parameters (there are
    generally three) of your scanner adjusted to fully but exactly capture
    the entire dynamic range of the subject photo. You don't want to "clip"
    either lowlights (dark areas) or highlights (bright areas) of the photo,
    but you also don't want to utilize just a portion of the available
    dynamic range. And the "gamma", or mid tones, may benefit greatly from
    being adjusted.

    There is more to this than just slapping a photo on the glass and
    pressing a "SCAN" button.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 11, 2010