Re: What possible use is RAW mode in my 10D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"

    >does the 10d save as tiff files?
    >i thought canon was all raw, but i could be wrong

    No, you're right, just RAW or jpeg. But you can't do much with a RAW file
    until it's converted to tiff ...
    Bill Hilton, Aug 25, 2003

  2. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"

    > >does the 10d save as tiff files?
    > >i thought canon was all raw, but i could be wrong

    > No, you're right, just RAW or jpeg. But you can't do much with a RAW file
    > until it's converted to tiff ...

    my apologies. i thought you were suggesting he save it in the camera as
    tiff, which is why i asked what i did.

    canon should provide a converter for raw files on the cd they ship with the
    camera. i remember one of my first cameras (the a10) shipped with it, even
    though the camera was a 1.3mp model and didnt even do raw files.

    i still think that if someone has to ask the question of "why", then they
    shouldnt be using it in the first place.
    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Aug 25, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"

    >canon should provide a converter for raw files on the cd they ship with the
    >camera.

    They already do supply a converter and file viewer with the camera software, of
    course. The converter isn't particularly good, hence 3rd party solutions from
    a variety of vendors, but it's there.

    Why would you think otherwise?
    Bill Hilton, Aug 25, 2003
  4. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"

    > >canon should provide a converter for raw files on the cd they ship with

    the
    > >camera.

    > They already do supply a converter and file viewer with the camera

    software, of
    > course. The converter isn't particularly good, hence 3rd party solutions

    from
    > a variety of vendors, but it's there.
    >
    > Why would you think otherwise?

    i didnt think otherwise. i said they SHOULD (put emphasis on the word i
    guess) provide one, its on the cd.

    I could have worded it differently. if you read the rest of my post though,
    i mentioned they even include it on the cameras that dont record raw files,
    such as the now extinct powershot a10.
    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Aug 25, 2003
  5. Bill Hilton

    Lionel Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:35:47 GMT, in <DRc2b.46834$K44.9164@edtnps84>,
    "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <> said:

    >canon should provide a converter for raw files on the cd they ship with the
    >camera.

    They do. Both my S30 & 10D both came with converters. (They're slow &
    crappy, but they will get the job done for free.)

    >i still think that if someone has to ask the question of "why", then they
    >shouldnt be using it in the first place.

    You may have a point there. ;) Personally, I fail to see the point of
    buying a nice camera & then throwing away some 30% of the tonal values.
    If you're going to do that, you might as well buy a P&S & save yourself
    a stack of cash.

    Lionel, Aug 25, 2003