Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. pppel <> writes:
    >Wow! Do you experts have a suggestion on the best way to get into
    >networking field? So that I don't try CCNA for one or two years and
    >realize it's working for me job-wise and have to go a different direction.

    I'm not the best one to give career advice, because I don't work in a
    typical environment.

    To me though, the CCNA, like a degree, represents that you can
    concentrate enough to complete a program, and you should have the
    fundementals down pat. I'd think that an employer looking for a
    position would chuck those that don't have at least a CCNA or
    equivilent without consideration. Ie. you'd have to really shine out
    and be outstanding if you didn't have the basics and paperwork with it.

    The point of the CCNA isn't to show that you can setup a frame-relay
    switched network, but more that you have learned the fundementals.
    Ie. from what I remember of the CCNA program, you would really get to
    know IP subneting (ie. know how many IPs are in a /27, in a /22, in a /18).
    Can subnet any given block. Can setup a network device to route say a
    /27 to something else. Know what VLANs are, how to use vlans on a switch.
    Do L3 routing on a switch. Know how WANs are normally setup, how T1s
    are typically deployed, even if they are dying breed, I still support
    my T1 customers. They do add on more T1s to their PPP ML bundles.
    These are all still very much in use (unlike Frame-Relay switching).

    Knowing the fundementals is more important than the details. The
    ability to learn, and keep learning all the time is important. The
    goal isn't the certificate, it is to know the basics down pat to go to
    the next level. Once you know the fundementals, and have the ability
    to learn, it does get to be easier. Knowing the test answers for rote
    regurgiation isn't going to get you as far as really knowing it.
    Doug McIntyre, Aug 9, 2012