Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Aug 6, 2012.

  1. pppel <> writes:
    >Hi Doug, Thanks for your answer. Is the cross-over T1 cable you mentioned the same as a cross-over cable used to connect a host to a host?

    No, not the same pinout. Same idea, same function, different pins.

    >Another question. I know you said either WIC is good. But I can think of a situation where a WIC-2T is preferred than WIC-1DSU-T1. There are lab situation a router functions as a frame-realy switch, the WAN connection from two branch offices takes up two ports, and another ISP WAN connection takes up the third connection. A 1721 router with 2 WIC-2T would offer 4 serial ports, enough for this prototype. While a 1721 router with 2 WIC-1DSU-T1 offers only 2 ports. And I can't add another WIC-1DSU-T1. For reasons like this, should I go for WIC-2T?

    There are also 2 port T1 cards (and while not available on the 1721, also
    quad port T1 cards on other routers). The VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 are readily
    available used as well, since they only work in old hardware.

    Again, both would function well, its just that you would be much more
    likely to encounter a WIC-1DSU-T1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 in "real" life
    more often. Ie. out in the field, I only saw a couple installations
    using 1721 and WIC-2Ts. By far, whenever I had a synch serial port
    hookup, it was with even earlier hardware (ie. 2500, 7000/7500).
    Once the integrated CSU/DSU version was readily available, the market
    switched almost instantly.

    One benefit of the WIC-2T vs. VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 is the IOS revs supporting
    the WIC-2T go back to the start, while the VWIC part came out much
    later, probably midway through its lifespan. The VWICs aren't as
    readily available as the WIC-2Ts, but are still there.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 6, 2012

  2. Doug McIntyre <> writes:
    >One benefit of the WIC-2T vs. VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 is the IOS revs supporting
    >the WIC-2T go back to the start, while the VWIC part came out much
    >later, probably midway through its lifespan. The VWICs aren't as
    >readily available as the WIC-2Ts, but are still there.

    I should followup why that would be important. If you need a newer IOS
    that you have, you may also have to upgrade the DRAM and Flash in the
    router in order to run the code rev you need for this card. (as well
    as some how obtaining the version of code you want in the first place
    with zero support available from cisco..).

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 6, 2012

  3. Doug McIntyre

    Rob Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Doug McIntyre <> writes:
    >>One benefit of the WIC-2T vs. VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 is the IOS revs supporting
    >>the WIC-2T go back to the start, while the VWIC part came out much
    >>later, probably midway through its lifespan. The VWICs aren't as
    >>readily available as the WIC-2Ts, but are still there.

    > I should followup why that would be important. If you need a newer IOS
    > that you have, you may also have to upgrade the DRAM and Flash in the
    > router in order to run the code rev you need for this card. (as well
    > as some how obtaining the version of code you want in the first place
    > with zero support available from cisco..).

    And by that time of course you have spent more than if you would have
    bought an uptodate router from the 800 series...

    Rob, Aug 6, 2012
  4. Rob <> writes:
    >And by that time of course you have spent more than if you would have
    >bought an uptodate router from the 800 series...

    And how would you get an 8xx series router to test out T1s or
    Frame-Relay switching? Ethernet is not the only technology..
    (ignoring the xDSL options in that line which doesn't help out either).

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 6, 2012
  5. Doug McIntyre

    Rob Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Rob <> writes:
    >>And by that time of course you have spent more than if you would have
    >>bought an uptodate router from the 800 series...

    > And how would you get an 8xx series router to test out T1s or
    > Frame-Relay switching? Ethernet is not the only technology..
    > (ignoring the xDSL options in that line which doesn't help out either).

    Well it depends on what you want to build your testlab for, of course.

    T1 (E1) and framerelay is completely dead here. Everyone uses DSL
    and ethernet. Maybe it is different in his part of the world, but I
    want to warn him for spending money on obsolete stuff like 1721s and
    WIC cards, only to find that he needs to spend more money on overpriced
    memory expansions and a license to get a recent IOS, and still have
    a device with obsolete performance.

    Rob, Aug 6, 2012