Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Aug 3, 2012.

  1. pppel <> writes:
    >I'm getting 3 or 4 Cisco 1721 to build a test lab for my CCNA study. At school, we used Cisco smart cable to connect two routers to act as WAN link. Most Cisco 1721 on Ebay.com don't have this serial interface module cards. They usually have a T1 DSU/CSU module card. Can this T1 connection function as WAN link? Or should I get maybe one serial interface module cards for each 1721 router?

    Either card would be fine. This model router is EOL'd, so anything
    should be cheap on the surplus market.

    A WIC-2T card (which you mention first) goes for ~$25 on eBay.
    a 1.5ft smart serial DCE/DTE cable goes for $10.

    A WIC-1DSU-T1 card goes for $5-$15 or so.
    A Crossover T1 cable goes for $4-$5 or so. (or you can make one).

    Either the Synch serial card or the T1 card will function near
    identical for you. With the T1 card, you'd get a little bit more to
    what goes on in "real life" for WAN circuits.

    Yes, you can hook up two WIC-1DSU-T1 cards with a cross-over T1 cable.
    Doug McIntyre, Aug 3, 2012