Re: What memory to use?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. me

    me Guest

    do you get any beeps whatsoever without the memory installed?

    Are you positive the memory is good?
    Are you positive the cpu is good?
    Did you buy buffered or unbuffered memory?

    if your computer beeps without the memory installed, then try installing the
    memory a stick at a time. Try one stick, turn the machine on and listen for
    the beep.
    Then turn it off, take the stick out and try the other in the exact same
    slot. Next repeat for the opposite slot, and then try both modules
    together.

    If it still does not work--you should contact the m/b technical support line
    and ask them if the m/b can handle the memory that you bought--just give
    then the memory specs. Personally I hate dealing with manufacturers tech
    support because most of them have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

    Anyway, short of that you can attempt to stick a POST Diagnostic card into
    an open PCI slot and see if you get any errors.

    "st" <> wrote in message
    > Hello There:
    >
    > I am enjoying putting a computer together and facing the
    > challenges, here is my question:
    >
    > I just got PCCHIPS "M851G V1.5" motherboard w/a 462 socket, an AMD CPU
    > 2200+266 ATHLON XP and two modules of memory of Viking DDRAM 256 mb 32 X

    64

    me, Dec 14, 2004