Re: What makes a mac better?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 31, 2012.

  1. Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Dudley Hanks writes:

    >> I'll agree that UNIX based systems are more secure than similar Windows
    >> systems ...

    > Not true. The Windows NT security model is much more advanced than the
    > standard UNIX security model.

    1. It doesn't matter how "much more advanced" a security model
    is when it's constantly circumvented. Run as administrator,
    because too much stuff simply doesn't work otherwise.
    2. It doesn't matter how "much more advanced" a security model is
    unless it's both *understood* and *used* to it's capabilities.
    Joe Average User does *not* understand or use it. At best
    he doesn't deactivate the "firewall" and knows not to allow
    "shares".
    Maybe large company sysadmins who really learned the stuff
    understand and use it. Maybe, because they often still need
    to call in external contractors.
    3. Speaking of which: the "security model" of Windows is to
    execute everything clicked, run insecure code when previewing
    e.g. emails, have many open ports and generally "just work"
    in a world where there are nothing but friends. It's a great
    idea when there are nothing but friends, but there are always
    bad people ...
    And yes, such stuff *is* part of the security model, not just
    some file restrictions, as you seem to think.
    4. A deskop "firewall" isn't. It's a packet filter that
    can trivially be circumvented by claiming one is called
    iexplorer.exe and talking to port 80. Its use is merely
    educational.
    5. Every program in the Windows world (outside a few direct-by-MS
    programs) must care about it's own updating. There isn't
    a central repository, much less a vetted one, for updates.
    Reinventing the wheel over and over means more code, more
    errors (and since the updates install code, errors there can
    allow wrong parties to upload code and have it run), more
    hassle for the user, and so on and so on. This is completely
    separated from the OS structure --- but Android manages, IOS
    manages, many Linux- and BSD-versions manage to centralize
    and automatize updates of (practically) the whole system.
    MS is unable to do that?
    6. No central package management system. Every program
    installs itself any way it wants. Some use some popular
    tools, others are roll-your-own. Removing no longer
    wanted stuff isn't easy, even when uninstall routines are
    available. Not to mention keys in the registry. Unwanted
    code, especially code that by any of several methods is
    autostarted (and MS even embeds 90% of Office to be loaded
    at booting) is a security risk. (Other systems offer a
    central package manager.)

    Oh, not to forget: As before, you base your claim on the
    misinformation that Windows has ACL and Linux hasn't. The latter
    is not true. You've been told that several times in the past.

    > UNIX was never designed to be secure,

    If you quote, please quote correctly:
    | It was not designed from the start to be secure. It was designed
    | with the necessary characteristics to make security serviceable.
    -- Dennis Ritchie about UNIX security.

    > and it's a
    > Swiss cheese.

    Compared to Windows, which is the holes of Swiss cheese, a couple
    kilometers Swiss cheese *will* stop the bullet.

    Note that since Windows has all the holes ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 31, 2012