Re: What makes a mac better?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Laszlo Lebrun, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. On 27.08.2012 05:50, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > The Mac used to have a huge advantage for graphics, electronic publishing,
    > music and video editing, etc. That advantage is gone today, since most
    > software for these domains runs on both PCs and Macs. There's still a bit more
    > choice in the Mac world,

    More choice?
    ROTFL
    Everything really pro runs on Windows, Macs are toys.

    A late progress: Pro Tools finally also available (after a decade) on
    Macs as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKjTMNZFJs&feature=player_embedded

    Read the comments an how people owning Macs were frustrated not to get
    the same power Software than Windows-based tools.

    Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
    software...

    --
    One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
    One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)
    Laszlo Lebrun, Aug 28, 2012

  2. Laszlo Lebrun

    nospam Guest

    In article <k1j71s$20j$>, Laszlo Lebrun
    <> wrote:

    > Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
    > software...

    what for? imovie is comparable and free and final cut is more capable.
    nospam, Aug 28, 2012

  3. On 28.08.2012 21:46, nospam wrote:
    > In article <k1j71s$20j$>, Laszlo Lebrun
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
    >> software...

    > what for? imovie is comparable

    You really have got absolutely no clue!
    iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

    .... and free and final cut is more capable.

    LOL
    FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.
    Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
    graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

    So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
    I am excited to read your detailed answer.

    Laszlo Lebrun, Aug 31, 2012
  4. Laszlo Lebrun

    -hh Guest

    Laszlo Lebrun <> wrote:
    > On 28.08.2012 21:46, nospam wrote:
    > > Laszlo Lebrun <> wrote:

    > >> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous
    > >> Vegas software...

    > > what for? imovie is comparable

    > You really have got absolutely no clue!
    > iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

    Frankly, I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I did quickly look it
    up...at a MSRP of $699 per seat, I'd certainly hope that it
    outperforms Apple's ("bundled for 'free' with each new Mac hardware
    purchase") iMovie, or else it wouldn't be a particularly good value.

    > [>] ... and free and final cut is more capable.
    >

    > LOL
    > FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.
    > Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
    > graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

    I'm similarly now familiar with Final Cut (any flavor), although I've
    heard how Apple really screwed things up IMO. In any case, the new
    FC"X" version lists for $300, so from a simplistic price comparison
    paradigm standpoint, I'd be surprised if it was as capable as Sony's
    Vegas.

    > So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
    > I am excited to read your detailed answer.

    I'd be interested in hearing this on a more generalized basis - the
    pros/cons of both the consumer end products (iMovie and Sony's Movie
    Studio products, plus similars) as well as the higher end - - within
    reason: don't necessarily think that stuff that's notionally in the
    $10K per seat range is particularly germane for most readers, except
    as a reference benchmark for how the moving image industry in a
    broader sense.

    -hh
    -hh, Aug 31, 2012
  5. Laszlo Lebrun

    nospam Guest

    In article <k1qh61$4v3$>, Laszlo Lebrun
    <> wrote:

    > >> Still waiting for Sony to make a Mac-version of their famous Vegas
    > >> software...

    > > what for? imovie is comparable

    > You really have got absolutely no clue!
    > iMovie is a toy for beach videos. Nobody uses it professionally.

    so what? most people aren't pros and imovie is all they need. sort of
    like photoshop elements & full photoshop.

    those who are pros will want something more.

    > ... and free and final cut is more capable.
    > >

    > LOL
    > FCP lacked multicam capabilities until FCPx, which was a pity.

    wrong. multicam used to be in fcp. it was dropped with the fcpx rewrite
    and then added back.

    <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57368640-248/final-cut-pro-x-update-b
    rings-multicam-back-into-the-picture/>
    Multicam editing was present in previous versions of the Final Cut
    Pro suite, dating back to 2005 but was not included in this latest
    version of the editing suite. Under the new system, multicam works
    with up to 64 different camera angles and can do video or still clips
    at any resolution, format, and frame rate that's supported by the
    software.

    > Even now it is not able to use the raw rendering power of high end
    > graphic cards and is dog slow compared to Vegas Pro.

    very wrong.

    > So what is FCP "more capable" EXACTLY?
    > I am excited to read your detailed answer.

    pros normally use final cut pro or avid, not vegas.

    in fact, people used to buy macs *just* to run final cut. that changed
    with fcpx though.
    nospam, Aug 31, 2012
  6. Laszlo Lebrun

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    -hh <> wrote:

    > Frankly, I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I did quickly look it
    > up...at a MSRP of $699 per seat, I'd certainly hope that it
    > outperforms Apple's ("bundled for 'free' with each new Mac hardware
    > purchase") iMovie, or else it wouldn't be a particularly good value.

    when i googled for it, i found this, for $57, which is why i said it
    was comparable to imovie.
    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/785928-REG/Sony_MSPSMS11000_Vegas
    _Movie_Studio_HD_Platinum.html>

    checking further, it looks like there's also a $600 msrp version, which
    i missed the other day. that 's probably comparable to final cut.
    nospam, Aug 31, 2012
  7. Laszlo Lebrun <> wrote:
    > On 27.08.2012 05:50, Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> The Mac used to have a huge advantage for graphics, electronic publishing,
    >> music and video editing, etc. That advantage is gone today, since most
    >> software for these domains runs on both PCs and Macs. There's still a bit more
    >> choice in the Mac world,

    > More choice?
    > ROTFL
    > Everything really pro runs on Windows, Macs are toys.

    "So how DO you replace the window manager and the graphics
    subsystem on Windows?" wonders the Linux user ...

    And how can I make it so that I don't need to click on windows to
    become active, but merely last touched them with the cursor ---
    and of course so that they *don't* pop in front like a child with
    ADHD ... that's really, really annoying, the smaller the screen,
    the more ...

    And how do I teach Windows to copy marked text (just mark it with
    the left mouse button, no CTRL-C) and to paste it with the middle
    mouse button (no CTRL-V)?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 1, 2012