Re: What makes a mac better?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > Ironically, several recent macs display color at 6 bits/colour making
    > them underwhelming compared to many displays on the market. This is not
    > at the processing/graphics card level but at the display level. In fact
    > someone sued Apple over the assertion that the Mac in question displayed
    > 16M colours (whatever the number) when in fact the display was only
    > capable of 260 thousand or so.

    both mac and windows laptops use 6 bit displays. it's nothing unique to
    apple. many windows laptops also use lower quality tn displays to cut
    costs whereas macs don't.

    laptops have a power constraint and most people don't do colour
    critical work on a laptop, so it's a fair tradeoff. you can always plug
    in an external display, which many people do.

    that said, the macbook pro with retina display has an 8 bit ips
    display. it's as good as anything you can get on your desk outside of
    something like eizo ($$), and actually much better due to its insanely
    high resolution.

    > > Interestingly, Adobe seems to put more work into Windows than it does into
    > > mac, at least it does when Adobe Elements is concerned.

    > AFAIK Elements is identical in function on both platforms. I may be
    > wrong. ( I use CS5).

    just about all adobe software is cross platform, not just elements.

    nospam, Aug 26, 2012

  2. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/26/2012 1:57 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ironically, several recent macs display color at 6 bits/colour making
    >> them underwhelming compared to many displays on the market. This is not
    >> at the processing/graphics card level but at the display level. In fact
    >> someone sued Apple over the assertion that the Mac in question displayed
    >> 16M colours (whatever the number) when in fact the display was only
    >> capable of 260 thousand or so.

    > both mac and windows laptops use 6 bit displays. it's nothing unique to
    > apple. many windows laptops also use lower quality tn displays to cut
    > costs whereas macs don't.
    >
    > laptops have a power constraint and most people don't do colour
    > critical work on a laptop, so it's a fair tradeoff. you can always plug
    > in an external display, which many people do.
    >
    > that said, the macbook pro with retina display has an 8 bit ips
    > display. it's as good as anything you can get on your desk outside of
    > something like eizo ($$), and actually much better due to its insanely
    > high resolution.

    Do you actually work with any post processing program, or do you just
    bullshit using theoretical specs.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 26, 2012

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <503a7b60$0$6360$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Do you actually work with any post processing program, or do you just
    > bullshit using theoretical specs.

    mainly photoshop and lightroom. i've written several photoshop plug-ins
    so i know how photoshop works internally and have also worked on other
    image processing software. i've used aperture a couple of times but
    don't like it. i use iphoto to sync photos to my idevices but not to
    edit. from time to time i look at other apps just to see what they're
    up to, including pixelmator, the gimp and others. it's been a while
    since i've done anything with video, but i used to use adobe premiere.
    on the rare occasion i need to do video now, i used imovie only because
    it's free.

    any other questions?

    nospam, Aug 26, 2012