Re: What makes a computer slow as molasses?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Wentworth, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Mira wrote:
    > My computer is slow as molasses. Clicking "back" button or just opening a
    > website is taking so much time. We have Comcast cable for a server (where it
    > disconnects by itself sometimes) which I dont understand. My computer is a
    > refurbish Compaq Presario (which I swear would not buy ever again), I have
    > no idea how much RAM or GHz this one has. My hubby said that mine is much
    > much better that he has and it should not give me problems like this but it
    > makes me wonder why it is very slow. Is it true that more files you have in
    > your hard drive makes your pc slow? I have a lot of files in mine but I have
    > 80 GB hard drive. Any input is appreciated.
    >
    > Mira

    Here's a couple things to check. To help you, we have to know the
    Operating System (Win98, WinXP, Win2000, etc.) and something about the
    hardware.

    Try this:
    Click Start-then Run- type in the box MSINFO32
    A screen should be displayed, and after information is displayed in
    System Summary write down the OS Name, Version, Processor, Total
    Physical Memory, and Available memory.

    BTW: You can do a File-Print for a complete record, but on my machine
    that's 64 pages, so........

    Now click on Software Environment, then Loaded Modules, there is now a
    list of software running on your machine. If you scroll to the right of
    the screen the manufacturer of the software is listed, do you see
    anything listed that doesn't look right? Any companies listed that don't
    correspond to software you have installed?

    What are the results from MSINFO32?
    John Wentworth, Jan 18, 2005