Re: What macro for Nikon D3100?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim Conway, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. Tim Conway

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Ed Wicks" <> wrote in message
    news:021020112007534912%...
    >I would appreciate recommendations of a macro lens for a Nikon D3100,
    > focal length 50-100, with autofocus feature. Thanks.
    > Ed

    One suggestion: go with a longer focal length if you want to shoot critters
    like insects/butterflies. It allows for more working room so as not to
    scare the critter. If you're going to copy prints etc. on a copystand the
    40mm or 60mm might be better.
    Tim Conway, Oct 3, 2011

  2. "Tim Conway" <> wrote in message news:
    j6cgms$q4k$:
    > "Ed Wicks" <> wrote in message

    > >I would appreciate recommendations of a macro lens for a Nikon D3100,
    > > focal length 50-100, with autofocus feature. Thanks.
    > > Ed

    > One suggestion: go with a longer focal length if you want to shoot critters
    > like insects/butterflies. It allows for more working room so as not to
    > scare the critter. If you're going to copy prints etc. on a copystand the
    > 40mm or 60mm might be better.

    If you want to maximize DOF and magnification with insects,
    a flash on a remote cord, mounted so the flash head is very
    near the end and rotated to about 10:00 or 2:00 of the lens
    axis works well, and the light is relatively soft since the
    flash head is large compared with the subject. This method
    has another advantage: if you are careful not to disturb the
    insect, most will stay put after the first flash, giving you
    the ability to further adjust your framing. BTW, here are
    some samples (click on "Bugs", then through them), at --
    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/phun.html
    These go up to 3X, all hand-held...
    --DR
    David Ruether, Oct 3, 2011

  3. Tim Conway

    AlexisRhode34

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I am having the same question as I recently purchased Nikon D3100, would like more suggestions on this if possible!
    AlexisRhode34, Apr 11, 2012