Re: What is the simplest Android camera app?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cgp gray, Jan 27, 2014.

  1. cgp gray

    cgp gray Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 20:57:18 +0000, James Grady wrote:

    > What is the simplest Android camera app?

    Pretty much there is no camera app that doesn't have
    overly complicated controls.

    You're best with a real camera.

    cgp gray, Jan 27, 2014

  2. cgp gray

    James Grady Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:25:43 +0000, cgp gray wrote:

    > You're best with a real camera.

    I've been testing all the camera apps, and, so far, NONE
    have a simple menu for turning on and off the flash.

    All I need is:
    1. Press once and the flash goes off.
    2. Press again, & the flash goes to automatic.
    3. Press once more, and the flash goes on.
    .... ...
    1. Press again and the flash goes off.
    (and the cycle repeats).

    So, I guess the question has morphed to a social engineering
    question, since I'm no genius, but this is such an obvious GUI
    improvement, I can't possibly be the first person to think
    of it.

    Why is it that nodo NO camera apps have such a simple GUI
    such that the buttons that have only 3 options require
    too many unnecessary additional steps?

    That is, why don't they just make it a cyclic tap-tap-tap menu?
    (i.e., what am I missing here?)

    James Grady, Feb 4, 2014

  3. cgp gray

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2014-02-04, James Grady <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:25:43 +0000, cgp gray wrote:
    >
    >> You're best with a real camera.

    > I've been testing all the camera apps, and, so far, NONE
    > have a simple menu for turning on and off the flash.
    >
    > All I need is:
    > 1. Press once and the flash goes off.
    > 2. Press again, & the flash goes to automatic.
    > 3. Press once more, and the flash goes on.
    > ... ...
    > 1. Press again and the flash goes off.
    > (and the cycle repeats).
    >
    > So, I guess the question has morphed to a social engineering
    > question, since I'm no genius, but this is such an obvious GUI
    > improvement, I can't possibly be the first person to think
    > of it.
    >
    > Why is it that nodo NO camera apps have such a simple GUI
    > such that the buttons that have only 3 options require
    > too many unnecessary additional steps?
    >
    > That is, why don't they just make it a cyclic tap-tap-tap menu?
    > (i.e., what am I missing here?)

    Which smartphone are you using?

    I don't think I've encountered a camera app that doesn't have a little
    icon of some sort for toggling between flash modes, permanently visible
    in the 'viewfinder' display. Usually the symbol looks something like a
    lightning bolt. There's usually another one for making the picture
    darker or lighter, with a +/- symbol on it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 4, 2014
  4. cgp gray

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/3/2014 8:40 PM, James Grady wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:25:43 +0000, cgp gray wrote:
    >
    >> You're best with a real camera.

    > I've been testing all the camera apps, and, so far, NONE
    > have a simple menu for turning on and off the flash.

    All, 700,000 + apps?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 4, 2014