Re: What is the point of nz.comp?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > I mean, really -- this isn't 1993. Once upon a time ago, Usenet served a
    > purpose. But today!?! Nz.comp's use-by date has surely long since expired.
    >
    > Nine-out-of-ten posts in nz.comp start with someone referencing some web
    > blog/article. The rest start with some provincial brain fart that
    > inevitably turns out to be embarrassing for the OP. I leave it to you,
    > dear reader, to decide which is the more pointless exercise.
    >
    > May I suggest: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en
    >
    > As for myself, my work is done here. I've succeeded in putting freetards
    > in their rightful place -- cowering in the face of facts they were to lazy
    > to uncover themselves. At this point, no one gives these Larry D'Losers a
    > second thought. Such is the fate of drive-by trolls whose stock-in-trade
    > is censorship and half-truths.
    >
    > Time for me to open my new iPad2 and read the Times. Bye-bye.

    Can't the iPad do usenet?
    Peter, Mar 12, 2011

  2. Peter

    Mike Dee Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Bret <> wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> impossible wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Can't the iPad do usenet?

    >>I can see a nym shift coming.

    > My word you are cynical (;
    > Tony

    You _still_ here (rhetorical)?

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Mar 12, 2011

  3. Peter

    David Empson Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    > impossible wrote:
    > > I mean, really -- this isn't 1993. Once upon a time ago, Usenet served a
    > > purpose. But today!?! Nz.comp's use-by date has surely long since expired.
    > >
    > > Nine-out-of-ten posts in nz.comp start with someone referencing some web
    > > blog/article. The rest start with some provincial brain fart that
    > > inevitably turns out to be embarrassing for the OP. I leave it to you,
    > > dear reader, to decide which is the more pointless exercise.
    > >
    > > May I suggest: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en
    > >
    > > As for myself, my work is done here. I've succeeded in putting freetards
    > > in their rightful place -- cowering in the face of facts they were to lazy
    > > to uncover themselves. At this point, no one gives these Larry D'Losers a
    > > second thought. Such is the fate of drive-by trolls whose stock-in-trade
    > > is censorship and half-truths.
    > >
    > > Time for me to open my new iPad2 and read the Times. Bye-bye.

    > Can't the iPad do usenet?

    Yes, there is an app called "NewsTap". (I've never tried it.)

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 13, 2011
  4. In article <>, Bret <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Cynicism is the power of accurate observation as described by those who do
    >not posess it :)

    ... excellent ... but apparently a rewording of GBS (see below) ? Do you
    happen to know which is the 'real' quote ? :)

    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
    have not got it.
    - George Bernard Shaw

    ... and some others for your enjoyment :) ...

    Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as
    they ought to be.
    - Ambrose Bierce

    "Cynicism" is simply a dirty word for pattern recognition.

    - ??
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 14, 2011
  5. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 12/03/2011 8:39 p.m., Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:01:31 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> I mean, really -- this isn't 1993. Once upon a time ago, Usenet served a
    >>> purpose. But today!?! Nz.comp's use-by date has surely long since expired.
    >>>
    >>> Nine-out-of-ten posts in nz.comp start with someone referencing some web
    >>> blog/article. The rest start with some provincial brain fart that
    >>> inevitably turns out to be embarrassing for the OP. I leave it to you,
    >>> dear reader, to decide which is the more pointless exercise.
    >>>
    >>> May I suggest: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en
    >>>
    >>> As for myself, my work is done here. I've succeeded in putting freetards
    >>> in their rightful place -- cowering in the face of facts they were to lazy
    >>> to uncover themselves. At this point, no one gives these Larry D'Losers a
    >>> second thought. Such is the fate of drive-by trolls whose stock-in-trade
    >>> is censorship and half-truths.
    >>>
    >>> Time for me to open my new iPad2 and read the Times. Bye-bye.

    >> Can't the iPad do usenet?

    > I can see a nym shift coming.

    jerryleecooper
    victor, Mar 14, 2011