Re: What is the difference between Windows 98 and 98SE?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Pat, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    > Also, since Windows 98 SE reaches its end-of-life in June of 2004
    > (according to M$), I would suggest that you move away from Windows 98
    > SE if you can. I stopped using it about 3 years ago myself. ;)

    That's only significant if you're concerned about updates and technical
    support. NT is in the same position, but new installs on many large chain
    store servers are still NT.

    The apparent philosophy is that Win2k isn't as proven, probably from the
    mentality of those running various *NIX versions that don't trust anything
    less than five years old for mission critical tasks.

    Then again, I'm still working with a lot of DOS-based POS systems.

    ---
    Pat, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Pat

    Mike Smith Guest

    "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message

    > And then I spent 3 hours today replacing a dot matrix printer.
    > There's even one dot matrix printer in another department that's
    > been running since 1991 and is still in use today! The printer I
    > replaced today was an Okidata Microline 321, 9 pin. You have to get
    > the paper guards, font pitch, paper position and emulation mode just
    > right or it will not print correctly on their customized forms! What
    > a pain in the arse! I don't care HOW reliable dot matrix printers
    > are or how long they have being running: they are not worth keeping
    > because they pretty much unsupported these days. I doubt that I can
    > walk into a store and pull an Okidata Microline 321 from a shelf, let
    > alone order one online.

    What other choice do you have if you must print on multi-part forms? Aren't
    dot matrix printers the only impact printers readily available? I agree
    they're a pain in the butt, but I think we're stuck with them for a while.
    At least until something better comes around...

    Mike
    Mike Smith, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Pat

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Adam Leinss
    <> wrote:

    > "Pat" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    > >> Also, since Windows 98 SE reaches its end-of-life in June of 2004
    > >> (according to M$), I would suggest that you move away from
    > >> Windows 98 SE if you can. I stopped using it about 3 years ago
    > >> myself. ;)

    > > That's only significant if you're concerned about updates and
    > > technical support. NT is in the same position, but new installs
    > > on many large chain store servers are still NT.
    > >
    > > The apparent philosophy is that Win2k isn't as proven, probably
    > > from the mentality of those running various *NIX versions that
    > > don't trust anything less than five years old for mission critical
    > > tasks.
    > >
    > > Then again, I'm still working with a lot of DOS-based POS systems.

    > Well, where I work, we have this thing called "HIPPA" which means
    > that computer security is now mandated by federal law, so there
    > really is no choice in keeping Windows 95/98 or not. It's an
    > insecure operating system and one that is sorely outdated. You'll
    > notice in the latest patches Microsoft makes a special point to say
    > that operating systems before Windows Me are not supported and that
    > they will not release patches for them, should some major exploit
    > come out. That should make you worry just a little bit.
    >
    > And then I spent 3 hours today replacing a dot matrix printer.
    > There's even one dot matrix printer in another department that's
    > been running since 1991 and is still in use today! The printer I
    > replaced today was an Okidata Microline 321, 9 pin. You have to get
    > the paper guards, font pitch, paper position and emulation mode just
    > right or it will not print correctly on their customized forms! What
    > a pain in the arse! I don't care HOW reliable dot matrix printers
    > are or how long they have being running: they are not worth keeping
    > because they pretty much unsupported these days. I doubt that I can
    > walk into a store and pull an Okidata Microline 321 from a shelf, let
    > alone order one online.
    >
    > So, when your hardware and software is a few years past its age,
    > UPGRADE it. You will thank yourself.
    >
    > Adam

    I have about 6 in my store rooom if you want them... and yes, they have
    value for many places- any place that uses multi-part forms...
    Ghost, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Pat

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Adam Leinss
    <> wrote:

    > "Pat" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    > >> Also, since Windows 98 SE reaches its end-of-life in June of 2004
    > >> (according to M$), I would suggest that you move away from
    > >> Windows 98 SE if you can. I stopped using it about 3 years ago
    > >> myself. ;)

    > > That's only significant if you're concerned about updates and
    > > technical support. NT is in the same position, but new installs
    > > on many large chain store servers are still NT.
    > >
    > > The apparent philosophy is that Win2k isn't as proven, probably
    > > from the mentality of those running various *NIX versions that
    > > don't trust anything less than five years old for mission critical
    > > tasks.
    > >
    > > Then again, I'm still working with a lot of DOS-based POS systems.

    > Well, where I work, we have this thing called "HIPPA" which means
    > that computer security is now mandated by federal law, so there
    > really is no choice in keeping Windows 95/98 or not. It's an
    > insecure operating system and one that is sorely outdated. You'll
    > notice in the latest patches Microsoft makes a special point to say
    > that operating systems before Windows Me are not supported and that
    > they will not release patches for them, should some major exploit
    > come out. That should make you worry just a little bit.
    >
    > And then I spent 3 hours today replacing a dot matrix printer.
    > There's even one dot matrix printer in another department that's
    > been running since 1991 and is still in use today! The printer I
    > replaced today was an Okidata Microline 321, 9 pin. You have to get
    > the paper guards, font pitch, paper position and emulation mode just
    > right or it will not print correctly on their customized forms! What
    > a pain in the arse! I don't care HOW reliable dot matrix printers
    > are or how long they have being running: they are not worth keeping
    > because they pretty much unsupported these days. I doubt that I can
    > walk into a store and pull an Okidata Microline 321 from a shelf, let
    > alone order one online.
    >
    > So, when your hardware and software is a few years past its age,
    > UPGRADE it. You will thank yourself.
    >
    > Adam

    I have a particular problem in my area.. most medical facitlities are NOT
    HIPPA compliant, and they have no intention of becoming so. They dont
    seem to care about "due diligence", "vicarious liability", "civil and
    crominal penalties", etc... These guys are not spending money no how to
    become compliant.

    My thoughts are they are gonna wait until the first local facility comes
    under investigatation (and only if it makes the papers) before they will
    spend a dime.
    Ghost, Oct 1, 2003
  5. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:45:49 -0500, "Mike Smith" <> wrote:

    >"Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> And then I spent 3 hours today replacing a dot matrix printer.
    >> There's even one dot matrix printer in another department that's
    >> been running since 1991 and is still in use today! The printer I
    >> replaced today was an Okidata Microline 321, 9 pin. You have to get
    >> the paper guards, font pitch, paper position and emulation mode just
    >> right or it will not print correctly on their customized forms! What
    >> a pain in the arse! I don't care HOW reliable dot matrix printers
    >> are or how long they have being running: they are not worth keeping
    >> because they pretty much unsupported these days. I doubt that I can
    >> walk into a store and pull an Okidata Microline 321 from a shelf, let
    >> alone order one online.

    >What other choice do you have if you must print on multi-part forms? Aren't
    >dot matrix printers the only impact printers readily available? I agree
    >they're a pain in the butt, but I think we're stuck with them for a while.
    >At least until something better comes around...
    >
    >Mike

    There's an Epson LX-850 or FX-850 at the repair shop where I used to
    work. It's about 13 years old, and is still going strong. That's about
    all it gets used for now is the multi-part forms, but it did a lot
    more than that at first. Tough little printer...

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 7, 2003