Re: What is a Good Image program to backup this DELL Drive..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > I can Only backup to a external USB drive most DOS program do not work with my Hard Drive set up,
    > as they are connected to a Raid.IDE controller.
    >

    > So I think it will need to do a Sector image backup..
    >

    > NOTE, the WD drive has NO sector errors..

    Make a DOS boot disk with the appropriate drivers for your chipset and
    then use Ghost.

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008

  2. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > The Drives work with DOS but not with most Utilities, Plus Only Windows drivers are available..

    I'll be extremely surprised if DOS drivers aren't available. What is
    the MB?

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008

  3. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has
    > a another Silicon Image SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA
    > controler.

    Probably worth a short with a Linux live CD
    <http://hardware4linux.info/system/1207/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  4. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:07:06 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>> The Drives work with DOS but not with most Utilities, Plus Only Windows drivers are available..

    >> I'll be extremely surprised if DOS drivers aren't available. What is
    >> the MB?

    > Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has a another Silicon Image
    > SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA controler.

    Ghost sees non-RAID drives on an ITE8712 controller just fine for me
    (checked a few minutes ago). One of my colleagues says that UBCD4Win
    also addresses the ITE chipset ok.

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008

    That's why you need a Linux CD <http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#advanced2>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  6. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:56:46 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:

    >>> Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has a another Silicon Image
    >>> SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA controler.

    >> Ghost sees non-RAID drives on an ITE8712 controller just fine for me
    >> (checked a few minutes ago). One of my colleagues says that UBCD4Win
    >> also addresses the ITE chipset ok.
    >>
    >> http://www.ubcd4win.com/

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Yes had a look at this a Bit old and to much over kill.

    It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
    Windows 2000.

    > I don't know if any of the Tools do a Disk Sector backup Image..

    It includes http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22 which is
    designed specifically to do a sector copy of a HDD.

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008
  7. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > What version of Ghost was that, ?

    8.2 (ie a corporate version) with all the updates from Symantec.

    > I thought that the latest Ghost was a Windows only program..?

    The latest consumer versions are shite.

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008
  8. In message <48efb025$>, EMB wrote:

    > It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
    > Windows 2000.

    Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  9. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <48efb025$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
    >> Windows 2000.

    > Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.

    Your link supports my point perfectly. NTFS V3.0 was released with
    Windows 2000 and was a major change from its predecessors. V3.1 was
    released in 2001 and has remained unchanged to present day. From a file
    recovery POV there is no real difference in the 3.x versions.

    EMB, Oct 10, 2008
  10. In message <48efbe39$>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48efb025$>, EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
    >>> Windows 2000.

    >> Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
    >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.

    > V3.1 was released in 2001 and has remained unchanged to present day.

    If you read the article closely, it says the _version number_ hasn't
    changed, but the features have.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  11. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <48efbe39$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
    >>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.

    >> V3.1 was released in 2001 and has remained unchanged to present day.

    > If you read the article closely, it says the _version number_ hasn't
    > changed, but the features have.

    Not in any way that matters from a data recovery POV.

    EMB, Oct 11, 2008
  12. EMB

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Is there a full manual for this as the web site had little information.

    Their website has forums - try asking there.

    EMB, Oct 11, 2008
  13. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:17:15 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Yes had a look at this a Bit old and to much over kill.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if any of the Tools do a Disk Sector backup Image..

    >>That's why you need a Linux CD
    >><http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#advanced2>.

    > U are joking a Old Command Line System with NO GUI..

    Do you want a tool that works, or one that's pretty to look at?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2008
  14. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Do you want a tool that works, or one that's pretty to look at?

    And why the fsck does one of my clients keep employing pretty staff
    rather than ones who work?

    EMB, Oct 11, 2008
  15. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > I have never ever liked the Command line System and never will ...

    It allows you to copy and paste sequences that others give, instead of
    tediously following a long sequence of GUI-navigation instructions.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2008