Re: What is a Domain Name really worth

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Your Name, Oct 27, 2011.

  1. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    <> wrote:

    > I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    > so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.

    People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.
    Your Name, Oct 27, 2011

  2. Your Name

    No-one Guest

    On , , Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:39 +1300, Re: What is a Domain Name really worth,
    (Your Name) wrote:

    >In article <4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    >> so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    >If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    >
    >People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    >someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    >illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    What is the difference between "scalping" and someone buying up land and holding
    onto it until someone else needs or wants it and selling for as much as they
    can?
    Scalping is a non event.
    No-one, Oct 28, 2011

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:
    > On , , Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:39 +1300, Re: What is a Domain Name
    > really worth,
    > (Your Name) wrote:
    > >In article <4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    > >> so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    > >If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    > >
    > >People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    > >someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    > >illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    > What is the difference between "scalping" and someone buying up land
    > and holding onto it until someone else needs or wants it and selling
    > for as much as they can?
    > Scalping is a non event.

    Nope. Scalping is not getting to the event because some selfish scumbag
    bought all the tickets to sell at ridiculous prices (or even more
    ridiculous than they were originally).

    Yes. Holding onto land simply for the sake of making a profit is exactly
    the same. If you don't actually want it to use, then leave it for someone
    who does.

    It's this same selfish greedy idiocy that is causing all the finanacial
    problems and insane prices rises. One greedy scumbag makes a profit, and
    in the end it's ALWAYS the rest of us who have to pay for it.
    Your Name, Oct 28, 2011
  4. On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:51:03 +1300, No-one <> wrote:

    >On , , Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:39 +1300, Re: What is a Domain Name really worth,
    > (Your Name) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    >>> so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    >>If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    >>
    >>People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    >>someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    >>illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    >What is the difference between "scalping" and someone buying up land and holding
    >onto it until someone else needs or wants it and selling for as much as they
    >can?
    >Scalping is a non event.

    Are you talking about John Key..?
    Frank Williams, Oct 28, 2011
  5. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-10-27, Your Name <> wrote:
    > In article <4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    >> so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    > If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    >
    > People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    > someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    > illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    No scaping, for profit should rule. Market forces in pure action.
    Gordon, Oct 28, 2011
  6. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 28/10/2011 4:51 p.m., No-one wrote:
    > On , , Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:39 +1300, Re: What is a Domain Name really worth,
    > (Your Name) wrote:
    >
    >> In article<4ea90e72$>, "collector.nz"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a name which has outlived its usefulness for me hisandhers.co.nz
    >>> so what would it be worth to sell rather than just let it lapse

    >> If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    >>
    >> People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    >> someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum. It should be
    >> illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    > What is the difference between "scalping" and someone buying up land and holding
    > onto it until someone else needs or wants it and selling for as much as they
    > can?
    > Scalping is a non event.

    Scalping is fraudulent, the contract for a ticket is only valid for
    first sale, and there is no guarantee that the ticket is genuine.
    victor, Oct 28, 2011
  7. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    > >
    > > People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    > > someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum.

    > No, they're taking a risk with a hope for reward. Just like anyone or any
    > business does when they buy goods with the hope of selling them for a
    > profit.
    >
    > > It should be
    > > illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    > No, for the same reason. As long as all tickets sold result in a bum on the
    > seat for that ticket, what's the issue?

    Sheer selfish greed ... that's the "issue" and unfortunately one that is
    FAR too prevalent in the human race. :-(

    It's extremely simple: If you don't actually want the ticket, leave it for
    someone else who does.
    Your Name, Oct 30, 2011
  8. In article <>, (Your Name) wrote:
    >In article <>, Allistar
    ><> wrote:
    >> Your Name wrote:
    >> > If you don't want it, then let it lapse so someone else can use it.
    >> > People who "cybersquat" on domain names hoping to make piles of money at
    >> > someone else's expense are simply selfish, greedy scum.

    >> No, they're taking a risk with a hope for reward. Just like anyone or any
    >> business does when they buy goods with the hope of selling them for a
    >> profit.
    >> > It should be
    >> > illegal to do that, just as scalping should be illegal.

    >> No, for the same reason. As long as all tickets sold result in a bum on the
    >> seat for that ticket, what's the issue?

    >Sheer selfish greed ... that's the "issue" and unfortunately one that is
    >FAR too prevalent in the human race. :-(
    >It's extremely simple: If you don't actually want the ticket, leave it for
    >someone else who does.

    Absolutely wrong ! :)

    If you there's a buck to be made, buy buy buy ! ... then try to sell
    onsell to people that want it/them. So far so good.
    The crazy part is, there are people out there that will pay way over what
    something is worth ... which just encourages them. Market forces are fine
    ... but people need to be clever enough to say ... "ah, no, it's not worth
    that so I'm not paying it - you keep it". :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 31, 2011
  9. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >There is nothing greedy about free trade, so long as it is free.

    There is no such thing as "free trade" ... as I'm sure you know. :)
    The playing feild is always tilted.
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 31, 2011
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, Allistar
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> No, they're taking a risk with a hope for reward. Just like anyone or any
    > >> business does when they buy goods with the hope of selling them for a
    > >> profit.

    > >> No, for the same reason. As long as all tickets sold result in a bum on
    > >> the seat for that ticket, what's the issue?

    > > Sheer selfish greed ... that's the "issue" and unfortunately one that is
    > > FAR too prevalent in the human race. :-(

    > There is nothing greedy about free trade, so long as it is free.
    >
    > > It's extremely simple: If you don't actually want the ticket, leave it for
    > > someone else who does.

    > Why not say the same for any company that buys a product with the intention
    > of onselling it. Are Bunnings selfish scum because they buy wheelbarrows
    > which they sell for a markup? What's the difference?

    You need more than one brain cell to know the difference, which is why you
    obviously can't ... but believe whatever utter grabage you want, just
    don't come whining to me when a bottle of milk costs you $60,000,000. :-\

    END OF STORY - I'm not wasting any more time on this topic.
    Your Name, Oct 31, 2011
  11. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <j8kll8$jvg$>,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > In article

    <>,
    (Your Name) wrote:
    > >In article <>, Allistar
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> No, they're taking a risk with a hope for reward. Just like anyone or any
    > >> business does when they buy goods with the hope of selling them for a
    > >> profit.
    > >> No, for the same reason. As long as all tickets sold result in a bum

    on the
    > >> seat for that ticket, what's the issue?

    > >Sheer selfish greed ... that's the "issue" and unfortunately one that is
    > >FAR too prevalent in the human race. :-(
    > >It's extremely simple: If you don't actually want the ticket, leave it for
    > >someone else who does.

    > Absolutely wrong ! :)
    >
    > If you there's a buck to be made, buy buy buy ! ... then try to sell
    > onsell to people that want it/them. So far so good.
    > The crazy part is, there are people out there that will pay way over what
    > something is worth ... which just encourages them. Market forces are fine
    > .. but people need to be clever enough to say ... "ah, no, it's not worth
    > that so I'm not paying it - you keep it". :) :)

    Selfish greed is never "fine", but believe whatever garbage you want. :-\
    Your Name, Oct 31, 2011
  12. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:30:16 +1300, (Your Name)
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >END OF STORY - I'm not wasting any more time on this topic.

    Better late than never ...
    Donchano, Oct 31, 2011
  13. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:07:56 +1300, Allistar <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:30:16 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>>END OF STORY - I'm not wasting any more time on this topic.

    >> Better late than never ...

    >Indeed. I never understand people who don't like the concept of free trade.
    >I never buy things if I don't agree on the price. If I do buy things then by
    >definition I agree on the price. No problems.

    I've also found that people like "Your Name" don't believe in free
    choice either.
    Donchano, Oct 31, 2011
  14. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 31/10/2011 4:07 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Donchano wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:30:16 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> END OF STORY - I'm not wasting any more time on this topic.

    >> Better late than never ...

    > Indeed. I never understand people who don't like the concept of free trade.
    > I never buy things if I don't agree on the price. If I do buy things then by
    > definition I agree on the price. No problems.

    Free trade is the elimination of protective tariff barriers applied to
    foreign imports by nations.
    Nothing to do with your personal shopping Al
    victor, Nov 1, 2011
  15. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 1/11/2011 2:51 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> Indeed. I never understand people who don't like the concept of free
    >>> trade. I never buy things if I don't agree on the price. If I do buy
    >>> things then by definition I agree on the price. No problems.

    >> Free trade is the elimination of protective tariff barriers applied to
    >> foreign imports by nations.
    >> Nothing to do with your personal shopping Al

    > Free trade is when 2 parties can trade with each other without a 3rd party
    > forcing its way into the deal. When discussing tarrifs etc. that third party
    > is most often the state.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_trade

    Not to be confused with free market.
    victor, Nov 1, 2011
  16. In article <j8laot$153$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 31/10/2011 4:07 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:30:16 +1300, (Your Name)
    >>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>> Better late than never ...

    >> Indeed. I never understand people who don't like the concept of free trade.
    >> I never buy things if I don't agree on the price. If I do buy things then by
    >> definition I agree on the price. No problems.

    >These being the same people who will play Lotto - spending their money
    >on the off chance of making a return. That's no different to stumping
    >up the cash for a domain name (or anything else) in the hope that
    >someone else will pay them more for it.

    Actually I think that';s a bit different. :)

    One of those is speculation (which actually produces nothing), and the other
    a bet. Persdonally, I think the lotto ticket is a better choice for
    everyone. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2011
  17. In article <j8nhus$aah$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 31/10/2011 4:07 p.m., Allistar wrote:

    (snip)

    >> Indeed. I never understand people who don't like the concept of free trade.
    >> I never buy things if I don't agree on the price. If I do buy things then by
    >> definition I agree on the price. No problems.

    >Free trade is the elimination of protective tariff barriers applied to
    >foreign imports by nations.

    While that is one definition, it isn't a right one. :)
    By implication, the trade should also be good for all concerned, which as we
    know, is fine in theory, but seldom works in practice.
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2011
  18. In article <>, (Your Name) wrote:
    >In article <j8kll8$jvg$>,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article

    ><>,
    > (Your Name) wrote:

    >on the
    >> >Sheer selfish greed ... that's the "issue" and unfortunately one that is
    >> >FAR too prevalent in the human race. :-(
    >> >It's extremely simple: If you don't actually want the ticket, leave it for
    >> >someone else who does.

    >> Absolutely wrong ! :)
    >>
    >> If you there's a buck to be made, buy buy buy ! ... then try to sell
    >> onsell to people that want it/them. So far so good.
    >> The crazy part is, there are people out there that will pay way over what
    >> something is worth ... which just encourages them. Market forces are fine
    >> .. but people need to be clever enough to say ... "ah, no, it's not worth
    >> that so I'm not paying it - you keep it". :) :)

    >Selfish greed is never "fine", but believe whatever garbage you want. :-\

    Ah ... people are encouraged by our current systems to be selfish. Is it any
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2011
  19. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <j8nrf4$127$>,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    > Ah ... people are encouraged by our current systems to be selfish. Is it any
    > wonder that it works ? I never said it was clever in any way. :) :)

    It doesn't "work" ... hence the mess in the financial world, the protests
    against greedy over-bloated management salaries, prices for everyday items
    going through the roof, etc., etc. That's the point.
    Your Name, Nov 1, 2011
  20. Your Name

    No-one Guest

    On , , Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:59:39 +1300, Re: What is a Domain Name really worth,
    Crash McBash <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:30:56 +1300, (Your Name)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <j8kll8$jvg$>,
    >> (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >[snip]
    >>>
    >>> If you there's a buck to be made, buy buy buy ! ... then try to sell
    >>> onsell to people that want it/them. So far so good.
    >>> The crazy part is, there are people out there that will pay way over what
    >>> something is worth ... which just encourages them. Market forces are fine
    >>> .. but people need to be clever enough to say ... "ah, no, it's not worth
    >>> that so I'm not paying it - you keep it". :) :)

    >>Selfish greed is never "fine", but believe whatever garbage you want. :-\

    >So how do you draw the line between 'selfish greed' and the opposite
    >of it?

    Unselfish philanthropy?
    No-one, Nov 1, 2011