Re: What film body to pair with a D100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Doupnik, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Joe Doupnik

    Joe Doupnik Guest

    In article <sphPa.40109$>, Andrew McDonald <> writes:
    > Jeffrey Cohen wrote:
    >> Many will scoff at this reply, but... I have an N80 and a Sony 4MP
    >> DSC-S85. In many respects, the S85 takes better pictures than the N80.
    >> Now, it could certainly be that the photographer's fault, but when I
    >> shoot in fully automatic mode, comparying picture to picture, I get
    >> sharper pictures with better color rendition on my Sony digital than I
    >> do with my fancy N80.

    > Not me.

    -----------
    The N80 by itself takes truely horrid pictures. Totally out of
    focus and exposure is the pits. To correct these faults Nikon provides
    lenses, also their way of making a profit. Useful mechanisms, these lens
    thingys. Alas, quality varies and so does the skill level of the lens
    operator.
    The N80 also is terribly forgetful. Take a pic and poof, it's
    gone. To cure that vendors make film. Film comes in two flavors: positive
    (slide) and negative (for prints etc). Film quality varies a lot, and
    with it goes needed appreciation by the film operator. If the results
    are prints then the photolab gets into the act. If digital scans then
    the typical lab produces quite remarkably bad results compared to do it
    yourself scans with decent gear.
    Putting together the quality pieces, one finds pictures from the
    N80 to be of higher quality than from current digital cameras. Grain is a
    drawback to common ISO400 film.
    In shorter form, the N80 is a film and lens holder. The film and
    lens make the real difference. It's a rather nice holder, I have one and
    the other bits to make it remember nicely.
    Joe D.

    Joe Doupnik, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Joe Doupnik wrote:
    > In shorter form, the N80 is a film and lens holder. The film and
    > lens make the real difference. It's a rather nice holder, I have one and
    > the other bits to make it remember nicely.

    I have the same lens on my D100 as you can put on the N80 so that equals
    that out. And to my eyes, the pictures I take with the D100 are
    generally much sharper and clearer than those I am currently spending
    hours every day scanning with a not-cheap scanner.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Joe Doupnik

    gsum Guest

    You're right, 20x24 prints won't be equal.
    I'm sure that your Nikon scanner will start
    gathering dust when you see how much
    better the results from the D100 are.

    Graham

    gsum, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Joe Doupnik

    Tom Scales Guest

    Now THAT I believe :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 11, 2003
  5. I find your response somewhat insulting, though I'm sure you meant it in
    jest.

    My N80 with a Nikon 28-135 AF D Zoom in auto mode does not take as well
    defined pictures as my Sony DSC-S85 in side by side testing.

    Of course, we're not comparing apples to apples here. My digital
    processing (done myself) is no doubt better than my film processing,
    which is done at Costco or whatever discount processor I can use.

    I was just making a point. You did't have to shit all over it.

    JC

    Jeffrey Cohen, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Jeffrey Cohen wrote:

    > My N80 with a Nikon 28-135 AF D Zoom in auto mode does not take as well
    > defined pictures as my Sony DSC-S85 in side by side testing.
    >
    > Of course, we're not comparing apples to apples here. My digital
    > processing (done myself) is no doubt better than my film processing,
    > which is done at Costco or whatever discount processor I can use.

    As you've been told, it's the lens (+film) that matters. Could you check
    your lens again as I cannot find any references to such a Nikon lens.
    Sigma produces a 28-135 but not Nikon.

    --
    Tuomas

    Tuomas Tenkanen, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Jeffrey Cohen wrote:
    > My mistake. The lens is a "Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 D". Hope
    > that's enough information for you.

    Yes, thank you. That lens is well regarded and should produce better
    images than a 4 MP digital camera.

    > I think that more than a few professionals would disagree with your
    > contention that only the lens and film matter. That's a rather
    > testosterone charged comment, don't you think? While its true that just
    > about any modern SLR body will perform well within its perameters, the
    > bodies features and the flexibility of their parameters can certainly
    > expand a photographer's visual palette.

    True, but the body doesn't affect picture quality as long as it
    functions correctly. Some bodies may enable more opportunities than
    others, but it is still the lens and the film that define the image and
    I thought we were talking about picture quality.

    > Of course, I'm probably wasting my breath since you have already
    > established yourself as the type who is looking for a fight, rather than
    > an exchange of ideas. Good luck to you. You'll get no fight here.

    Funny that you think I am looking for a fight. I just asked a question.

    --
    Tuomas

    Tuomas Tenkanen, Jul 12, 2003