Re: What film body to pair with a D100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeffrey Cohen, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Many will scoff at this reply, but... I have an N80 and a Sony 4MP
    DSC-S85. In many respects, the S85 takes better pictures than the N80.
    Now, it could certainly be that the photographer's fault, but when I
    shoot in fully automatic mode, comparying picture to picture, I get
    sharper pictures with better color rendition on my Sony digital than I
    do with my fancy N80.

    I can see where it would be convenient to have both a film and digital
    body that share common lenses and accessories, but at this stage of the
    game, I would invest my money in more lenses and stay digital.

    For example, I'm using the Nikon 28 - 135 AF "D" Zoom on my N80. Its a
    fine lense, but it is only truly sharp at its sweet spot (about 70mm).
    In the old days, I used a couple of prime (fixed) Nikon lenses with a
    Nikon FE and got much better results than with this zoom.

    I would recommend getting a couple of good prime lenses for your D100
    instead of spending on the N80 camera body.

    That said, the N80 is a great camera for the money.

    JC

    Jeffrey Cohen, Jul 10, 2003