Re: what exactly is the point of spam filters?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:21:50 +0100, AntoineD wrote:

    >I am using mail washer and yes, it does filter the spam and I can choose to
    >delete it, create a blacklist and bounce the mail back (9 out of 10 times
    >the bounce will fail).
    >So first I check mail washer then OE.
    >Isn't it quicker to just check mail on OE as as usual and simply delete the
    >spam? Usually the header is a good clue if it is spam or not.
    >A spam killer does not stop YOU from getting spam, it just makes you get an
    >extra software, you still have to check your mail, delete etc..... It does
    >not automate anything really. It actually adds an extra step to getting your
    >mail.
    >In the past I have used the spam killer from McAffee... same thing, really.


    McAfee are spammers themselves. There are a few of these - spammers spamming
    anti-spam software. To them, it's just another way to try to make a buck, and
    who cares if it helps or not?

    >Will these programmes ever stop spam getting into your server to begin with?
    >So far I doubt it...


    No, they won't. But using dnsbls will.

    >or am I missing the point altogether? Enlightenment welcome.


    The only point that I see you've missed is that JHD without sending a complaint
    isn't an answer either.

    "To stop the spam, you have to stop the spammers."

    >Regards
    >Antoined
    >


    --
    "No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
     
    Mara, Jun 28, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mara

    AntoineD Guest

    forgive my ignorance but can you explain "dnsbls" and "JHD"
    Thanks
    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:21:50 +0100, AntoineD wrote:
    >
    > >I am using mail washer and yes, it does filter the spam and I can choose

    to
    > >delete it, create a blacklist and bounce the mail back (9 out of 10 times
    > >the bounce will fail).
    > >So first I check mail washer then OE.
    > >Isn't it quicker to just check mail on OE as as usual and simply delete

    the
    > >spam? Usually the header is a good clue if it is spam or not.
    > >A spam killer does not stop YOU from getting spam, it just makes you get

    an
    > >extra software, you still have to check your mail, delete etc..... It

    does
    > >not automate anything really. It actually adds an extra step to getting

    your
    > >mail.
    > >In the past I have used the spam killer from McAffee... same thing,

    really.
    >
    > McAfee are spammers themselves. There are a few of these - spammers

    spamming
    > anti-spam software. To them, it's just another way to try to make a buck,

    and
    > who cares if it helps or not?
    >
    > >Will these programmes ever stop spam getting into your server to begin

    with?
    > >So far I doubt it...

    >
    > No, they won't. But using dnsbls will.
    >
    > >or am I missing the point altogether? Enlightenment welcome.

    >
    > The only point that I see you've missed is that JHD without sending a

    complaint
    > isn't an answer either.
    >
    > "To stop the spam, you have to stop the spammers."
    >
    > >Regards
    > >Antoined
    > >

    >
    > --
    > "No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
    > AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    > --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
     
    AntoineD, Jun 28, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mara

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Jun 29, 2003
    #3
  4. Mara

    AntoineD Guest

    thanks for the top up explanations.


    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:07:19 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:45:24 +0100, AntoineD wrote:
    >
    >>forgive my ignorance but can you explain "dnsbls" and "JHD"
    >>Thanks

    >
    >Dnsbls:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/fi37
    >
    >Simplified greatly, it's a list of IPs on a server that blocks, and/or rejects
    >or denies, the spamming IP at the server level.
    >
    >JHD - Just Hit Delete.
    >
    >In reference to another post in the this thread, no, the bounce feature in
    >Mailwasher isn't all that successful in bouncing the messages back to their true
    >originator, as most spammers forge the return addresses. What happens is that
    >the bounce sends the e-mail usually to a completely innocent host, thus helping
    >to clog up an already spam-clogged server - and the Admin will just toss the
    >e-mail, unless they get too many, in which case they will complain to the
    >sending host, because in that case the bounce itself also fits the description
    >of spam. In some cases, bouncing spam is actually a violation of the user's
    >TOS/AUP, and is not recommended. The rest of the program is ok although it
    >really doesn't accomplish anything except delete the mail as it's sent to your
    >inbox - not from the server, where it has already been received.
    >
    >"That's why end-user filters _aren't_ the answer to spam."
    >
    >More on what happens when spam is bounced:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/fi3z
    >
    >And why filtering by itself generally doesn't work:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/fi48
    >
    ><snip>
     
    AntoineD, Jun 29, 2003
    #4
  5. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:42:04 GMT, AntoineD wrote:

    >thanks for the top up explanations.


    You're welcome.

    >
    >
    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:07:19 -0500, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:45:24 +0100, AntoineD wrote:
    >>
    >>>forgive my ignorance but can you explain "dnsbls" and "JHD"
    >>>Thanks

    >>
    >>Dnsbls:
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/fi37
    >>
    >>Simplified greatly, it's a list of IPs on a server that blocks, and/or rejects
    >>or denies, the spamming IP at the server level.
    >>
    >>JHD - Just Hit Delete.


    <snip>

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000
     
    Mara, Jun 29, 2003
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. the real TOMMY Tutalidge

    Re: what exactly is the point of spam filters?

    the real TOMMY Tutalidge, Jun 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    412
    the real TOMMY Tutalidge
    Jun 28, 2003
  2. koorb
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    424
    koorb
    Jun 28, 2003
  3. AntoineD

    Re: what exactly is the point of spam filters?

    AntoineD, Jun 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    446
    AntoineD
    Jun 28, 2003
  4. Mitch
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    452
    Mitch
    Jun 29, 2003
  5. David Sudjiman
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,186
    David Sudjiman
    Jun 8, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page