Re: What Ever Happened To 'X Windows'?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "Richard Ballard" <> wrote in message
    > In the early 1990's I was involved in a development project
    > investigating the commercial market for 'X Windows' terminals.
    > 'X Windows' was a GUI interface for UNIX systems being
    > developed under the GNU Open License by a consortium
    > led by MIT. We looked both at (dumb) hardware implementations
    > for client terminals and also at software emulators that could
    > be run on 8-MHz PC ATs, the PC technology then available.
    >
    > I have not heard of 'X Windows' in years. Did this technology
    > ever mature for use with UNIX (or Linux)? My own UNIX
    > experience has been with a(n emulated) VT-100 textual interface.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
    >
    > --
    > Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging and security
    > Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
    > SALES
    > P.O. Box 2609
    > Saint Louis MO 63116-0609
    > United States
    > (314) 776-2799 (days & emergencies -- telephone only, no voice mail)
    >
    > Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
    > --
    > Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
    > Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
    > Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

    OK I'll give you a real answer. X Windows is alive and well and working
    quite well in almost every version of Linux or Unix. There are some newer
    GUI environments that have gone much farther than X Windows called KDE and
    Gnome. X Windows is still available in all of the Linux distributions that
    I have installed which include RedHat, Debian and Mandrake. It's not used
    much except on computers that are just too old and slow to run one of the
    newer and more modern GUIs.
    I have run it on an old laptop that I put RH 7.3 on because neither of the
    others would start on that P166. It worked OK but I had other problems with
    getting a network card to work and wiped it for Win98.
    AG

    AG, Jun 4, 2004

  2. AG

    AG Guest

    "SchroedingerzKat" <> wrote in message
    > >OK I'll give you a real answer. X Windows is alive and well and working
    > >quite well in almost every version of Linux or Unix. There are some

    newer
    > >GUI environments that have gone much farther than X Windows called KDE

    and
    > >Gnome. X Windows is still available in all of the Linux distributions

    that
    > >I have installed which include RedHat, Debian and Mandrake. It's not

    used
    > >much except on computers that are just too old and slow to run one of the
    > >newer and more modern GUIs.
    > >I have run it on an old laptop that I put RH 7.3 on because neither of

    the
    > >others would start on that P166. It worked OK but I had other problems

    with
    > >getting a network card to work and wiped it for Win98.
    > >AG

    > I'll add that the BSD's and Unix also use X. And you can use Cygwin and

    have
    > an X server/client on windows as well.
    >
    > You typically add a window manager, I often use IceWM or Windowmaker. You

    can
    > also go for a (bloated) full desktop environment like KDE or Gnome.
    >
    > Michael

    I use KDE on my Linux testing box. There are some things I like such as the
    desktop switching with 4 separate desktops. Other than that I'm really
    pretty neutral as to which one I use.
    AG

    AG, Jun 7, 2004