Re: What does this Norton Security warning mean?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    Brett Dale wrote:
    > "A remote system is attempting access LSA Shell (export version) on your computer.
    >
    > Am Im suppose to block or except this?

    Someone is trying to log on to your PC from somewhere...

    This is something you would certainly block, and report to your ISP
    ASAP, as it is fairly certain to be a hacker...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    > Someone is trying to log on to your PC from somewhere...
    > This is something you would certainly block, and report to your ISP
    > ASAP, as it is fairly certain to be a hacker...

    Shouldn't that say "report to their ISP", not your isp?
    T.N.O., Sep 14, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    >
    >>Someone is trying to log on to your PC from somewhere...
    >>This is something you would certainly block, and report to your ISP
    >>ASAP, as it is fairly certain to be a hacker...

    > Shouldn't that say "report to their ISP", not your isp?

    Yep! Well spotted...

    I'd like to see a software written that can analyse a firewall
    log in realtime, and generate an automatic abuse report to the
    ISP of any hacker blocked by the firewall. You could configure
    it have a variable threshold, say 10 hits from one IP address
    inside 10 minutes could be considered 'abuse'? I send a few
    emails to ISP's but its takes me time to generate an email
    from data in the logs...an automated system would be cool...

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    >> I'd like to see a software written that can analyse a firewall

    > log in realtime, and generate an automatic abuse report to the
    > ISP of any hacker blocked by the firewall. You could configure
    > it have a variable threshold, say 10 hits from one IP address
    > inside 10 minutes could be considered 'abuse'? I send a few
    > emails to ISP's but its takes me time to generate an email
    > from data in the logs...an automated system would be cool...

    It would also be cool then if ISPs could generate an automated reply to
    each of the millions of email complaints they might potentially receive
    this way, reminding people to secure their systems, get on with their
    lives, and stop imagining that teen hackers knocking on the door are the
    biggest problem in their lives.
    Patrick Bold, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    Howard Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:03:13 +1200, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I'd like to see a software written that can analyse a firewall
    > log in realtime, and generate an automatic abuse report to the
    > ISP of any hacker blocked by the firewall.

    Someone as done it.
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/

    .... and it deals with the immaterial threshold problem raised by Patrick as
    well..
    Howard, Sep 15, 2003