Re: What does this green blob mean?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by William W. Plummer, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Dick Stouffer wrote:

    > See attachment.
    >
    > I get this green blob image at various times.
    >
    > What does it mean?
    >
    > Is there a common thread to all these occurrences?
    >
    > -Dick Stouffer

    It means that we are confusing ourselves because we can't read and write
    words anymore. So we draw pictures. The problem is that we can't
    make a dictionary of pictures -- what follows what? Note that Kanji
    (Chinese character language) has this problem. In the end the reader
    must simply learn something like 5000 symbols to be literate.
    William W. Plummer, Oct 10, 2004

  2. "William W. Plummer" <> wrote in message
    | Dick Stouffer wrote:
    |
    | > See attachment.
    | >
    | > I get this green blob image at various times.
    | >
    | > What does it mean?
    | >
    | > Is there a common thread to all these occurrences?
    | >
    | > -Dick Stouffer
    | >

    | > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | >
    | It means that we are confusing ourselves because we can't read and write
    | words anymore. So we draw pictures. The problem is that we can't
    | make a dictionary of pictures -- what follows what? Note that Kanji
    | (Chinese character language) has this problem. In the end the reader
    | must simply learn something like 5000 symbols to be literate.

    I believe Kanji is the Japanese charater set, William
    Dick Stouffer, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Dick Stouffer wrote:
    > "William W. Plummer" <> wrote in message
    > | Dick Stouffer wrote:
    > |
    > | > See attachment.
    > | >
    > | > I get this green blob image at various times.
    > | >
    > | > What does it mean?
    > | >
    > | > Is there a common thread to all these occurrences?
    > | >
    > | > -Dick Stouffer
    > | >

    > | > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > | >
    > | It means that we are confusing ourselves because we can't read and write
    > | words anymore. So we draw pictures. The problem is that we can't
    > | make a dictionary of pictures -- what follows what? Note that Kanji
    > | (Chinese character language) has this problem. In the end the reader
    > | must simply learn something like 5000 symbols to be literate.
    >
    > I believe Kanji is the Japanese charater set, William

    I'm far from being an expert, but I believe "Kanji" literally means
    "Chinese character". The Japanese based their language on a subset of
    Chinese. To cope with the dictionary and pronounciation problems,
    Japanese invented two phonetic alphabets, Hiragana and Katakana.
    William W. Plummer, Oct 11, 2004