Re: What does this error mean? Does somebody intrude then force me to restart my PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by johns, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. johns

    johns Guest

    I've got way too many years with NT ( I assume 4.0 )
    ..... You can get that error from a corroded spot on
    a power supply connector. I'm not kidding either. I
    discovered that after a year of fighting with that piece
    of crap OS .. and started cleaning PS connectors.
    Actually made NT 4.0 stable for almost a month. Another
    little "getcha" that will do that is the screen saver. Same
    damn thing .. lock up the screen, and tell you to reboot.
    Even more fun is many times when this happens, your
    zip drive will take a vacation never to be seen again
    without a complete reinstall. The Microsoft guys will
    tell you in a heartbeat to delete the IOMEGA polling.
    That one is another genuine piss-off, and it also can
    lock up everything ... same error ... although I've seen
    that one send 1000 print jobs to your LJ II. Tell your
    system admin that he is a total jerk for sticking you
    with that garbage OS, and it has been retired for a coons
    age for that very reason. Upgrade.

    johns
    johns, Feb 6, 2004

  2. In article <bvv169$1d8e$>, x says...
    > I've got way too many years with NT ( I assume 4.0 )
    > .... You can get that error from a corroded spot on
    > a power supply connector. I'm not kidding either. I
    > discovered that after a year of fighting with that piece
    > of crap OS .. and started cleaning PS connectors.
    > Actually made NT 4.0 stable for almost a month. Another
    > little "getcha" that will do that is the screen saver. Same
    > damn thing .. lock up the screen, and tell you to reboot.
    > Even more fun is many times when this happens, your
    > zip drive will take a vacation never to be seen again
    > without a complete reinstall. The Microsoft guys will
    > tell you in a heartbeat to delete the IOMEGA polling.
    > That one is another genuine piss-off, and it also can
    > lock up everything ... same error ... although I've seen
    > that one send 1000 print jobs to your LJ II. Tell your
    > system admin that he is a total jerk for sticking you
    > with that garbage OS, and it has been retired for a coons
    > age for that very reason. Upgrade.
    >
    > johns

    there's bugs like that also in XP, which were undocumented when I found
    one of them and reported it properly to MS.... I found a bug in "certain
    installs" of OEM versions of XP where the floppy drive simply wouldn't
    function... I could use a <insert whatever OS> boot disk and it would
    would fine... XP simply wouldn't recognize it... spoke with MS tech
    support, they basically told me I am full of shit.... :-\

    same with Win2k networking with Win98, of course it's well documented
    now, but when it came out, I found that in order to access a password
    protected share on a workgroup, you had to have identical usernames and
    passwords in Win2k and Win98. Not so with old Win9x LAN shares... as far
    as I know, it wasn't so on NT shares either... MS claimed there wasn't a
    problem after I reported it... of course.... anyway, I documented the
    error and the fix/work around and eventually, MS did about the same
    thing.... of course the good-ole-colonel didn't get credit for either.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 6, 2004

  3. johns

    johns Guest

    > would fine... XP simply wouldn't recognize it... spoke with MS tech
    > support, they basically told me I am full of shit.... :-\

    Have you seen the one where the XP install disk calls your
    C-drive the E-drive? I finally figured out that when you get
    the E-drive thing, ( I ) just hit reset and start over, and when
    the install gets back to that point, the new partition is the
    C-drive. For a long time, I thought I could fix it later, and
    would go on .. but hell no. From then on, the zip drive was
    the C-drive, and no way would it give it up. &^*%*^!!!!

    > same with Win2k networking with Win98, of course it's well documented
    > now, but when it came out, I found that in order to access a password
    > protected share on a workgroup, you had to have identical usernames and
    > passwords in Win2k and Win98.

    No problem. Just set up an ADS server, and have it share a printer
    to everybody you know. That *%&(&%* !!! will attack the users
    and change all their usernames and passwds to the same thing.
    Then you can waltz into the hidden shares on 300 computers any
    time you want :) God help us.

    johns
    johns, Feb 6, 2004