Re: What does "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" really do?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Red Blade 7, Jul 1, 2012.

  1. Red Blade 7

    Red Blade 7 Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:52:11 -0400, Mike Trainor wrote:

    > If I check the box that tell websites that I do not want to be
    > tracked, I find that I cannot log into some sites, others
    > pose challenge questions every time (I can just about
    > understand this as they probably have no chance to
    > 'recognizing' me) and I cannot even log into my wireless
    > router.
    >
    > My bank can remember me as long as I do not close
    > Firefox. Once I shut it down (using Exit) and get
    > a new browser window, I will have to answer the
    > challenge questions.
    >
    > The router is really puzzling.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this option really does?

    "Do Not Track" affects only participating sites, and from what I hear, not
    too many sites now, but will grow over time.

    As for your router, could this have something to do with it?

    http://techtech.slashdot.org/story/...t-router-firmware-allows-web-history-tracking

    --
    Red Blade 7

    President of alt.politics, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, & talk.politics.misc
    Fanfiction Committee Chairman of alt.tv.beavis-n-butthead
    Red Blade 7, Jul 1, 2012

  2. Red Blade 7

    John Doe Guest

    Mike Trainor <mtrainor hotmail.com> wrote:

    > What I meant was that the behaviour of the *browser* is really
    > puzzling. Actually, ever since I monkeyed with it, my bank does
    > not 'recognise' me and asks a challege question.

    I think having "delete [stuff] on exit" might cause that.

    John Doe, Jul 28, 2012