Re: what do you think

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by TwistyCreek, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. TwistyCreek

    TwistyCreek Guest

    stratEl wrote:

    > What is the most important security consideration an individual should be
    > aware of when owning a computer?

    The individual. :)

    > Is your computer ever totally secure?

    No. Not if you ever use it for anything but a doorstop. Literally.

    That's why the single most important consideration of any serious
    security minded person will begin with the user being the best tool for
    keeping your data safe. The best firewall/AV/whatever software and
    hardware in the world can be rendered completely useless by incompetence,
    and marginal or even poor quality tools can be used successfully by
    someone who has a deep knowledge of the problem. The happy medium is being
    educated enough to choose decent tools and use them properly. A function
    of the operator no matter how you slice it.

    That rant aside, the next step in answering the question is to know
    exactly what you're going to be doing with a machine or machines. It's
    called threat assessment, and it's the difference between an internet
    enabled machine being compromised because the user placed too much
    emphasis on physical security, and a corporate accounting server being
    compromised because the powers that be thought attackers would only enter
    the building through a wire. ;)

    Tell us what you plan to do, and with the fact that you are the most
    important piece in the puzzle, maybe you can get some more specific
    answers. :)

    TwistyCreek, Jan 3, 2006