Re: what do I need to start a digital photo printing business?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ajacobs2, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. ajacobs2

    ajacobs2 Guest

    Business model scores a D in Final.
    Boy are you lucky, if you were in my class, this would be a "D". You need
    to do a little more research my friend. Your business plan is simple, but
    disastrous.

    If this brainstorm is for the US market, rethink yourself. I was in the
    business doing the same thing with film and digital for thirty years and we
    had good equipment, talented people, but that was the smallest part of the
    process. Go back to the drawing boards and find a new business model. You
    can't compete with Sams, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Costco, Eckerds, CVS, Wal-Greens,
    Target, Sears, and soon thousands of automated kiosks.

    Using an example...
    We have a joke in Florida. The labs are gone because the Drug Lords put them
    under. Eckerds, CVS and Wal-Greens.
    In 1980 there were 790 INDEPENDANT labs in Florida. In 2003, there are less
    than 57. All went under. Amateurs go to the least costly store. In the US
    there is a lab on every street corner where there is a Pharmacy. Their labs
    lose money. They are there to keep the customer in the store at least two
    times or for one hour for additional shopping. They make more money on
    presriptions in an hour than running those machines for the day. Pro work
    will not sustain you. A pro lab is an entirely different operation.

    Errr, by the way are you aware how many prints it takes at .29 to pay off a
    175-$225,000 Frontier? Thats not something you put on your desktop. Are you
    aware of the water, electricity, insurance, location, phones, bulbs, OSHA,
    personnel, toilet paper, start up costs, advertising, and a thousand
    miscellaneous costs added to this simple business plan of yours?

    There are consultants at FUJI, KODAK, NORITSU and others who will gladly
    help you secure the 250-500,000 dollars needed to establish a business like
    this.
    But the best source would be to contact an IPI owner who is independant in
    the industry and has the best associate pricing on this equipment and works
    at it daily...

    Good Luck........

    (B>)# I wish you well.....
    Al Jacobson