Re: what do I need to start a digital photo printing business?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark B., Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Mark B.

    Mark B. Guest

    "Peter Wang" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm planing to start a digital photo printing business. The business
    > model is quite simple: get media (through cd, flash card, web etc)
    > from customers, and print them onto photo papers. The printings will
    > be mailed to customers or they can collect themselves
    >
    > What I'm going to do is,
    > 1. Set up a web site
    > 2. buy a photo printer
    > 3. buy photo papaers
    >
    > I've done some research and know that there are lot of photo printers
    > available. For example, Fuji Frontier, Epson 2200, etc. My intention
    > is to choose anyone the majority of digital photo printing business is
    > using. Could anyone give any suggestions on this?
    >
    > For photo papers, I know there are Fuji Crystal papers, Kodak papers,
    > etc. Again which one do you recommend?
    >
    > For software, do I need Photoshop? If I say I do not plan to do any
    > photo touching. is it practical? or photo touching is a must for
    > digital photo printing service. I know I definitly need a software for
    > printing. And I suppose it will comes with the printer.Am I right?
    >
    > I'm not a professional photograher or artist, but I'm very computer
    > literate.
    >
    > Any sugguestion is welcomed.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter

    Unless you can offer something that Wal-Mart doesn't, you're going to be
    competing with their 29-cent 4x6 prints. You have no printer, no Photoshop
    experience to speak of, nor even any photography experience. You need more
    than computer literacy for photo printing. First thing you need to do is
    check out the prints from Wal-Mart and the popular web-printing services
    like Shutterfly.com and ofoto.com. Why should I give you my images when I
    can set them up first the way I want - cropping, color balance,
    curves/histogram adjustment, etc. and take it to Wal-Mart for a
    decent-looking print from their Fuji Frontier, or print it myself.
    Mark B., Aug 18, 2003

  2. Mark B.

    tomflick

    Joined: