Re: What differences between USB3 and USB2?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Dec 14, 2010.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    USB2 vs USB3 (google that)

    USB3 is currently three (some say four) times faster than USB2 and should
    improve as technology matures - they say. For now eSATA is slightly faster
    and FireWire 800 is slightly slower than USB3. I spoke with a computer shop
    recently about building an external drive w/case and HD. They confirmed
    that USB3 is backward compatible with USB2 devices, the ports are the same
    size, and something I didn't know was that the standard is/will be USB3
    ports are colored blue (the plastic parts). Eventually USB3 will be the
    norm as USB2 is now I presume.

    Like others have mentioned - read/write (transfer) speeds are as fast as the
    weakest link: USB2 (device) mated to USB3 (port) = USB2 speed
    And I just thought of something... the cables. Like when we advanced from
    USB1.1 to USB2, that includes updating the cables so make sure cables aren't
    the weakest link.

    If I were shopping today, I'd get as much USB3 as possible.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...886d1270328659-usb-3-0-vs-2-0-seagate-3.0.png

    <> wrote:
    Hi, I know some motherboards support USB3. Is it very useful that
    connection?
    Thanks

    Kele, Dec 14, 2010