Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at homefrom non OEM toner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J.G., Aug 20, 2012.

  1. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

    > Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers with
    > the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
    > "expensive" inkjet process.

    I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization,
    much to my chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:

    0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to refill
    1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
    2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!

    Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers:
    0. IMHO, all ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs!
    1. Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative.
    2. The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!

    Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
    dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
    are rising up, again.

    Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    price such a miserable process? :(
    J.G., Aug 20, 2012

  2. J.G.

    Bill Guest

    J.G. wrote:

    > Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    > price such a miserable process? :(

    Gosh to you remember what it cost to bring in a roll of film for
    processing? You had to drive both ways, and maybe make a phone call to
    see if it was ready? And you had to wait a few weeks to see pictures of
    your thumb! The good old days, huh? : )
    Bill, Aug 20, 2012

  3. J.G.

    SMS Guest

    On 8/20/2012 3:22 PM, J.G. wrote:

    > Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    > price such a miserable process? :(

    Around here it costs 9-15¢ to have a 4x6 photo printed on a Noritsu
    commercial photo printer. If I send it to Walgreen's or CVS then usually
    by the time I walk there, in ten minutes, the photo is ready. For large
    prints Costco is the best deal.

    By the time you buy photo paper and ink or toner it would be unlikely
    for it to cost less to do it yourself, and of course the results would
    not be nearly as good.

    So I think the reason why it's so hard is that a decent photo printer
    isn't cheap to manufacture or maintain and the wide availability of
    photo printing service have eliminated the demand.
    SMS, Aug 21, 2012
  4. J.G.

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/20/2012 7:12 PM, SMS wrote:
    > On 8/20/2012 3:22 PM, J.G. wrote:
    >
    >> Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    >> price such a miserable process? :(

    > Around here it costs 9-15¢ to have a 4x6 photo printed on a Noritsu
    > commercial photo printer. If I send it to Walgreen's or CVS then usually
    > by the time I walk there, in ten minutes, the photo is ready. For large
    > prints Costco is the best deal.
    >
    > By the time you buy photo paper and ink or toner it would be unlikely
    > for it to cost less to do it yourself, and of course the results would
    > not be nearly as good.

    I use Costco for all prints. I think there quality is usually very good
    = excellent, provided I use the ICC profile for the machine I am using.
    I also did a cost analysis and it is slightly less expensive to do my
    own printing, provided I don't factor in the mistakes. Once I factor
    those in, Costco is much less expensive.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 21, 2012
  5. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    "J.G." <> writes:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers with
    > > the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
    > > "expensive" inkjet process.

    > I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization,
    > much to my chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:
    >
    > 0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to refill
    > 1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
    > 2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!
    >
    > Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers:
    > 0. IMHO, all ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs!
    > 1. Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative.
    > 2. The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!
    >
    > Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
    > dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
    > are rising up, again.
    >
    > Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    > price such a miserable process? :(

    Why is Epson not recommended in the US (I assume most posters here are
    in the US)? Epson is great for photos, although as I concentrate on
    linux Canon driver development I only use Epson as a backup. I buy 3rd
    party inks for my Epson, haven't tried refilling it. I'm not aware of
    any problems with the ink cartridges, but maybe there are, which is
    why Epson is not being discussed here?
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Gernot Hassenpflug, Aug 21, 2012
  6. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 23:14:41 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > I think the issue the OP has, is a particular one with HP and color
    > laser printers and the manner in which HP chips its toner cartridges. I
    > believe he wants a color laser printer which will give him adequate
    > results for photographs, as he rightly feels that the cost of inks for
    > photo quality ink jet printers is excessive. The bottom line is, there
    > is no free, or low budget ride, when it comes to producing quality photo
    > prints at home, or anywhere else for that matter.

    Wow. Nice synopsys!

    In my naive days, I bought multiple HP ink printers from Costco, such as
    the HP d135, which, due to the extreme expense of replacement ink tanks,
    I naturally got very good at refilling. However, as noted, it should
    NEVER be as difficult as HP purposefully makes it to simply refill an ink
    tank - so - over the years, this frustration soured me on any and all HP
    inkjets, swearing them off forever - and feeling good about that decision.

    Still needing a printer, I immediately matured when I bought for about
    $600 in those days, an HP laserjet 3200m, soon coming to the realization
    that there 'was' a better way, which was B&W laser printing. Refilling
    the C4092A is basically uneventfully trivial.

    The kids/wife wanting a color printer notwithstanding, it 'appears' that
    a color laser printer is not going to be acceptable for family photos;
    hence I'm back to the only choice feasible - which is ink printers -
    which I've previously sworn off forever (at least HP ink printers).

    Finding out that almost all manufacturers make ink refilling difficult,
    it appears that I'll have to choose my printer in reverse. That is, find
    one that allows refilling - and then buy THAT printer.

    This appears to be the only feasible method, although this entire process
    of realization makes me want to kiss my trusty B&W printer in retrospect.
    J.G., Aug 21, 2012
  7. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:22:09 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers with
    >> the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
    >> "expensive" inkjet process.

    >I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization,
    >much to my chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:
    >
    >0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to refill
    >1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
    >2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!
    >
    >Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers:
    >0. IMHO, all ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs!
    >1. Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative.
    >2. The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!
    >
    >Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
    >dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
    >are rising up, again.
    >
    >Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    >price such a miserable process? :(

    Last time I needed to buy a new AIO Inkie I was going to avoid HP. I
    read all the reviews I could find, compared features and user
    satisfaction, plus looked at reported problems. I Finally settled on
    a Canon that sounded REALLY good from the reviews. After getting it I
    was VERY disappointed in it's print quality for text and photos, it
    just did not match the quality on simple run of the mill daily
    printing that I was used to from my old defunct (my fault) HP. Some
    users had mentioned it's lengthy startup time for the first page but
    it didn't sound too bad so I still bought it. Start up time turned
    out to be a HUGE pain in the butt. If it sat for more then a few
    minutes it seemingly parked it's print heads and then when you went to
    print again there was all sorts of start up racket and delay while it
    brought the heads out of cold storage. Then I discovered that in what
    it considered normal mixed color and b/w printing it used a mix of all
    the color inks to produce the "black" which came out more like a dark
    charcoal. So its prints looked lousy and used up all the color ink!!
    I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    search!!
    Ashton Crusher, Aug 21, 2012
  8. J.G.

    SMS Guest

    On 8/21/2012 3:39 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

    <snip>

    > I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    > search!!

    All the rantings about HP are not because of the print quality, they are
    because of the business practices of what has essentially become an ink
    company.

    I find an HP AIO to be ideal. The print quality is excellent. I buy the
    replacement color ink cartridges from monoprice.com for as low as $8.
    The price of HP ink cartridges does not affect me.

    The key is to look at consumables first, and then select a printer based
    on the availability of after-market consumables. Even if it means
    finding a used printer.

    Freecycle is full of used printers. When computers lost their parallel
    ports there were a bunch of free laser printers available (often of a
    quality that is no longer available) because so many people wanted
    printers with USB ports. Then a lot of people wanted printers with
    wireless built in so they gave away their printers that lacked wireless.
    Now a lot of people want printers that support Airprint, so they can
    print directly from an Apple iPad or iPhone, so they are buying new
    printers that support Airprint.

    Of course there have always been easy workarounds to these issues, but
    they are not well known. I.e. I have a wireless print server with two
    USB and one parallel port that my printers connect to. There is an
    Airprint print server from Lantronix so any network printer can print
    from an iPad or iPhone. But new inkjet printers are so cheap that few
    people will bother with any workaround that costs $100. What they don't
    realize is that that new inkjet printer is designed to stop the use of
    refilled ink cartridges and aftermarket ink cartridges.
    SMS, Aug 22, 2012
  9. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    In rec.photo.digital SMS <> wrote:
    > On 8/21/2012 3:39 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

    > <snip>

    >> I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    >> search!!

    > All the rantings about HP are not because of the print quality, they are
    > because of the business practices of what has essentially become an ink
    > company.

    > I find an HP AIO to be ideal. The print quality is excellent. I buy the
    > replacement color ink cartridges from monoprice.com for as low as $8.
    > The price of HP ink cartridges does not affect me.

    > The key is to look at consumables first, and then select a printer based
    > on the availability of after-market consumables. Even if it means
    > finding a used printer.

    I happily used one of the allegedly better quality EPSON-compatible
    inks for a few years. Not the cheapest, but a good reputation on the
    web. My own tests had shown me only slight differences in colour, not
    worth paying all the extra for unless I wanted to do some exhibition
    quality prints. Which I sometimes did. And so sometimes I ended up
    doing a few of my family snaps with EPSON inks, and most with the same
    good quality replacement ink.

    My wife pinned those she liked best on the kitchen wall, carefully
    choosing a position the sun never reached. Nevertheless after a year
    all the replacement inks had browned off like old masters, whereas the
    EPSON ink snaps were still bright and colorful. After two years the
    compatible prints looked like fading sepia prints, whereas the EPSON
    ink prints still looked newly minted.

    So now I stick to the printer maker's inks. Have you tried any
    lightfast fading tests on your 3rd party inks?

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Aug 22, 2012
  10. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    Ashton Crusher <> writes:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:22:09 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers with
    > >> the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
    > >> "expensive" inkjet process.

    > >I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization,
    > >much to my chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:
    > >
    > >0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to refill
    > >1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
    > >2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!
    > >
    > >Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers:
    > >0. IMHO, all ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs!
    > >1. Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative.
    > >2. The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!
    > >
    > >Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
    > >dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
    > >are rising up, again.
    > >
    > >Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    > >price such a miserable process? :(

    > Last time I needed to buy a new AIO Inkie I was going to avoid HP. I
    > read all the reviews I could find, compared features and user
    > satisfaction, plus looked at reported problems. I Finally settled on
    > a Canon that sounded REALLY good from the reviews. After getting it I
    > was VERY disappointed in it's print quality for text and photos, it
    > just did not match the quality on simple run of the mill daily
    > printing that I was used to from my old defunct (my fault) HP. Some
    > users had mentioned it's lengthy startup time for the first page but
    > it didn't sound too bad so I still bought it. Start up time turned
    > out to be a HUGE pain in the butt. If it sat for more then a few
    > minutes it seemingly parked it's print heads and then when you went to
    > print again there was all sorts of start up racket and delay while it
    > brought the heads out of cold storage. Then I discovered that in what
    > it considered normal mixed color and b/w printing it used a mix of all
    > the color inks to produce the "black" which came out more like a dark
    > charcoal. So its prints looked lousy and used up all the color ink!!
    > I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    > search!!

    Yes, many of the Canon inkjets which, after all, are made for
    photo-printing, improve the shades of grey by using other colors. This
    is quite natural since the point of using them is to print quality
    photos.

    However, if one wants to use the printer for other things, which is
    also natural, such as low-cost B/W printing, then one has to ensure
    that the printer comes with at least one plain media mode (not the
    highest or even medium quality one, in most cases) that prints only
    using black ink. Then one uses that.

    There is a whole range of Canon printers dealing with this problem by
    shipping with two cartridges: black and color. One can then select
    black-only cartridge and print all one's work only in black. Refilling
    either cartridge is also trivial.
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Gernot Hassenpflug, Aug 23, 2012
  11. J.G.

    Guest Guest

    Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital SMS <> wrote:
    >> On 8/21/2012 3:39 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    >>> search!!

    >> All the rantings about HP are not because of the print quality, they are
    >> because of the business practices of what has essentially become an ink
    >> company.

    >> I find an HP AIO to be ideal. The print quality is excellent. I buy the
    >> replacement color ink cartridges from monoprice.com for as low as $8.
    >> The price of HP ink cartridges does not affect me.

    >> The key is to look at consumables first, and then select a printer based
    >> on the availability of after-market consumables. Even if it means
    >> finding a used printer.

    > I happily used one of the allegedly better quality EPSON-compatible
    > inks for a few years. Not the cheapest, but a good reputation on the
    > web. My own tests had shown me only slight differences in colour, not
    > worth paying all the extra for unless I wanted to do some exhibition
    > quality prints. Which I sometimes did. And so sometimes I ended up
    > doing a few of my family snaps with EPSON inks, and most with the same
    > good quality replacement ink.
    >
    > My wife pinned those she liked best on the kitchen wall, carefully
    > choosing a position the sun never reached. Nevertheless after a year
    > all the replacement inks had browned off like old masters, whereas the
    > EPSON ink snaps were still bright and colorful. After two years the
    > compatible prints looked like fading sepia prints, whereas the EPSON
    > ink prints still looked newly minted.
    >
    > So now I stick to the printer maker's inks. Have you tried any
    > lightfast fading tests on your 3rd party inks?

    My experience with my Brother MFC colour laser printer is that not only do
    the colours fade, but they smudge too. That is about a month after
    printing.
    Guest, Aug 23, 2012
  12. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    On 23 Aug 2012 13:11:32 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> I took it back and returned to an HP AIO. Good luck with your
    >> search!!

    >Yes, many of the Canon inkjets which, after all, are made for
    >photo-printing, improve the shades of grey by using other colors. This
    >is quite natural since the point of using them is to print quality
    >photos.
    >
    >However, if one wants to use the printer for other things, which is
    >also natural, such as low-cost B/W printing, then one has to ensure
    >that the printer comes with at least one plain media mode (not the
    >highest or even medium quality one, in most cases) that prints only
    >using black ink. Then one uses that.
    >
    >There is a whole range of Canon printers dealing with this problem by
    >shipping with two cartridges: black and color. One can then select
    >black-only cartridge and print all one's work only in black. Refilling

    The single Canon I tried did have both black and color carts. Yet it
    insisted on using the color mix for black unless you did something to
    force it to use the black - I forget the details now. You could work
    around it but it was a pain to deal with and simply wasn't a problem
    with the HP. The thing that surprised me most was that so many
    reviewers raved about its print quality and it was clearly, at least
    to my eye, inferior to HP for the 90% of the printing I do. When
    doing 4x6 color on glossy photo paper it did fine but no better then
    the HP.
    Ashton Crusher, Aug 25, 2012
  13. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 06:47:42 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > The key is to look at consumables first, and then select a printer based
    > on the availability of after-market consumables.

    That's sage advice!
    J.G., Aug 26, 2012
  14. Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

    Ashton Crusher <> writes:

    > On 23 Aug 2012 13:11:32 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    > <> wrote:

    /../

    > >There is a whole range of Canon printers dealing with this problem by
    > >shipping with two cartridges: black and color. One can then select
    > >black-only cartridge and print all one's work only in black. Refilling
    > >either cartridge is also trivial.

    > The single Canon I tried did have both black and color carts. Yet it
    > insisted on using the color mix for black unless you did something to
    > force it to use the black - I forget the details now. You could work

    Er, of course. You have to select the black cartridge. The printer is
    not a mind-reader! This ability is what is special. In the other range
    of models, which have 4 or more separate ink tanks, you also usually
    have one or more black-only modes for plain media in the mono mode
    selection, but it is not guaranteed: they might all use other inks as
    well, that is controlled in the firmware.

    With the range I described above, you can select black cartridge only
    in the driver.

    > around it but it was a pain to deal with and simply wasn't a problem
    > with the HP. The thing that surprised me most was that so many
    > reviewers raved about its print quality and it was clearly, at least
    > to my eye, inferior to HP for the 90% of the printing I do. When
    > doing 4x6 color on glossy photo paper it did fine but no better then
    > the HP.

    It is up to the printer manufacturer to determine what quality to give
    for mono modes. Some use only black ink, some use other inks as well
    for high-quality mono modes, and black only for lower qualit mono
    modes. You can't rely on the next model having the same specs there.
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Gernot Hassenpflug, Aug 27, 2012
  15. Ashton Crusher <> wrote:

    [mixing colours to reach black]

    > The single Canon I tried did have both black and color carts. Yet it
    > insisted on using the color mix for black unless you did something to
    > force it to use the black - I forget the details now. You could work
    > around it but it was a pain to deal with and simply wasn't a problem
    > with the HP.

    Did you ever look at the HP greys and blacks with a loupe?

    And how do you correct for colour tints? Believing that every
    black ink will be colour cast free under every light, in every
    density, on every paper ...

    > The thing that surprised me most was that so many
    > reviewers raved about its print quality and it was clearly, at least
    > to my eye, inferior to HP for the 90% of the printing I do.

    Hmmm, that looks like you did something wrong.
    Or used the wrong printer for the task.
    Or used the wrong ink.
    Or used the wrong paper.

    > When
    > doing 4x6 color on glossy photo paper it did fine but no better then
    > the HP.

    What else did you print? Text on recycled paper?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 27, 2012
  16. J.G.

    Bernard Guest

    Le Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:07:52 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug a écrit :

    > "J.G." <> writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers
    >> > with the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
    >> > "expensive" inkjet process.

    >> I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization, much to my
    >> chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:
    >>
    >> 0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to
    >> refill 1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
    >> 2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!
    >>
    >> Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers: 0. IMHO, all
    >> ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs! 1.
    >> Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative. 2.
    >> The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!
    >>
    >> Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
    >> dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
    >> are rising up, again.
    >>
    >> Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
    >> price such a miserable process? :(

    > Why is Epson not recommended in the US (I assume most posters here are
    > in the US)? Epson is great for photos, although as I concentrate on
    > linux Canon driver development I only use Epson as a backup. I buy 3rd
    > party inks for my Epson, haven't tried refilling it. I'm not aware of
    > any problems with the ink cartridges, but maybe there are, which is why
    > Epson is not being discussed here?

    I don't have an Epson printer at home, but I have seen Epson printed
    photos and HP printed conterparts. I mostly noticed that Epson colours
    seem to fade a lot faster than HP's. True enough, the fading of HP
    prints, although slow, is an awful lot faster than that of old photos
    that were chemically treated !
    Bernard, Sep 15, 2012