Re: What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at homefrom non OEM toner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J.G., Aug 20, 2012.

  1. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:39:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

    >>What is this "HP drop dead date" thing ?

    > "...All Hewlett Packard ink cartridges have microchips installed that
    > tell the printer when the cartridge expires.

    In addition to what Oren and Percival said, here's what HP says (verbatim):
    "What is ink expiration?
    Basically ink expiration is a built-in date on which certain
    HP ink cartridges will stop working."

    See:
    What is ink expiration and will it make my HP ink supplies stop working?
    http://tinyurl.com/cz6jp9g
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01764161

    See also:
    HP’s expiring ink cartridges EXPOSED
    http://advantage77.com/blog/2012/01/25/hps-expiring-ink-cartridges-exposed/

    Which says (verbatim):
    "Some cartridges cease to function 12 months after the “Warranty Ends†date,
    or 18 months after the ink cartridge is installed, whichever comes first."

    See also this USENET thread by Orak Listalavostok on 7/7/2004:
    HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

    And, this canonical HP printer ink expiry date thread:
    Various HP printer ink expiration dates analyzed
    which was posted on comp.sys.hp.hardware on Sep 17, 2004.

    Note: I don't know how to quote NNTP posts so someone can help me here,
    especially since the HP ink respiry research in those two threads is
    nothing short of phenomenal!

    J.G., Aug 20, 2012

  2. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:55:34 +0000, J.G. wrote:

    > What is ink expiration and will it make my HP ink supplies stop working?
    > http://tinyurl.com/cz6jp9g
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?

    lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01764161

    Here's what makes it all so confusing.

    This is what HP says (verbatim) at that site above:

    What is the ink expiration date?
    It's important to note that the ink expiration date is NOT the date
    stamped or printed on the ink supply.

    Rather, the printed date on all HP inkjet supplies is the “Warranty endsâ€
    date.

    To determine the ink expiration date on a particular supply, the consumer
    needs to consider three factors: the ink supply, its warranty date, and
    the date on which the cartridge is initially installed.

    J.G., Aug 20, 2012

  3. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:55:34 +0000, J.G. wrote:

    > What is ink expiration and will it make my HP ink supplies stop working?
    > http://tinyurl.com/cz6jp9g

    According to that official HP web site ...

    This is the list of printers whose chipped ink will expire even if it is
    full and has never been opened! (which is what happened to me!):

    These won't take expired ink even if its full & unopened:
    HP Officejet Pro K850
    HP digital Copier Printer 610
    HP Business Inkjet - all
    HP Officejet D series,
    HP Officejet 7100 series,
    HP Officejet 9100 series
    HP Professional series (2000 and 2500)
    HP Color Inkjet cp1160 and cp1700

    This is the list of printers where heroics can overried the expiry date:
    HP Officejet Pro 8000, 8500, K550, K5300, K5400, K8600, L7400, L7500,
    L7600, and L7700 Series
    HP Photosmart 3110, 3210, 3310, 8250, C5180, C6180, C6200, C7180, C7200,
    C8100, D6160, D7160, D7200, D7360, and D7400 series, HP Photosmart Pro
    B8800, B9180
    HP Designjet 510, 4000, 4500, 4X20, 5100, 5500, 8000, 9000, 10000,
    L25500, L26500, L28500, L65500, LX600, LX800, LX820, LX850, T610, T620,
    T770, T790, T1100, T1120, T1200, T1300, T2300 eMFP, T7100, Z2100, Z3100,
    Z3200, Z5200ps, Z6100, Z6200 series, HP CM8050 and CM8060

    J.G., Aug 20, 2012
  4. J.G.

    J.G. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:55:34 +0000, J.G. wrote:

    > What is ink expiration and will it make my HP ink supplies stop working?
    > http://tinyurl.com/cz6jp9g

    According to that official HP web site:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01764161

    For these printers:
    Color Inkjet cp1160 series,
    Officejet d125xi
    Officejet d135
    Officejet d145
    Officejet d155xi
    Officejet 7110
    Officejet 7130,
    Officejet 7140xi
    HP Fax 610

    The drop-dead expiry date for the chipped ink is as follows:

    12 months after the “Warranty Ends†date, or 18 months after the ink cartridge is installed, whichever comes first.

    There is no known way around this particular drop-dead date!

    Note: There are 'other' printers where you 'can' get around the drop-dead date ... hence the confusion out there.

    J.G., Aug 20, 2012
  5. J.G.

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 20/08/2012 20:55, J.G. wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:39:04 -0700, Oren wrote:
    >
    >>> What is this "HP drop dead date" thing ?

    >> "...All Hewlett Packard ink cartridges have microchips installed that
    >> tell the printer when the cartridge expires.

    > In addition to what Oren and Percival said, here's what HP says (verbatim):
    > "What is ink expiration?
    > Basically ink expiration is a built-in date on which certain
    > HP ink cartridges will stop working."

    Dell 1320cn isn't bad for almost photoreal laser printing (good enough
    for small leaflet if you choose the paper to match the lustre of the
    toner). And there are reengineered third party toner cartridges on sale
    for about £40 a set (or two sets of original OEM for £110 with a free
    laser printer thrown in). Offers on that model are over but I expect its
    replacement will follow a similar trajectory. Shame no-one offers a deal
    on C,M,Y,K,K - as that is about the right mix ratio even if you have a
    dedicated monochrome laser printer for ordinary use.

    I am keeping all my old empty Dell toner cartridges to refill one day if
    the bulk refills ever become cheaper than whole cartridges!

    If you are buying for photographic printing check out reviews carefully
    - some laser printers are fit only for printing business graphs.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 21, 2012