Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stormin Mormon, Aug 3, 2010.

  1. I don't use one, but it might fit the bill for you.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-halogen-shop-light-66433.html
    On sale, ten bucks. Somewhat rugged.

    The LED one with 45 LED or something. Much less satisfying. Throws a
    spot on the far wall, and doesn't light up the area.

    Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    "Brent" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy
    lighting
    conditions (like many people do).

    Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to
    augment
    the camera flash.

    It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
    aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
    the
    directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

    Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
    they
    break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

    Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
    200W
    bulbs from ACE?

    Stormin Mormon, Aug 3, 2010

  2. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 8/3/2010 3:04 AM, Brent wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:18:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
    >
    >> Usually when I take pics, the camera flash does a good job.

    > In the intracacies of the engine, the camera flash can't throw the light we
    > need into all the spaces we need for a good shot.
    >
    > That's why it has to be hand held and clampable .
    >
    > The incandescents in the aluminum reflector work fine; they just break a
    > lot.

    May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
    sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need
    something more powerful the AlienBees ABR800 is 20 bucks more, but plugs
    into the wall and is larger and bulkier and without any automation. For
    close to double the price you can go with the Nikon R1C1 (apparently the
    D5000 flash doesn't work as commander--if it did you could use the R1
    for not much more than the Sigma or Alien Bees) which gives you a little
    more control of shadows but is on a par with the Sigma for power.

    Note by the way that the Sigma does _not_ work as a commander for
    anything but the EM500 (on Canon anyway--I don't know if the Nikon
    version has the same problem).

    There is a bottom-feeder Chinese ringlight that is sold under the
    "Bower", "Phoenix", and other brands for around 100 bucks--apparently
    _if_ you get a good one they work fine but you may have to go through
    several of them to get a good one.

    J. Clarke, Aug 3, 2010

  3. Stormin Mormon

    DanP Guest

    On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    > May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
    > sort of thing.  The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379.  If you need

    You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

    DanP

    DanP, Aug 3, 2010
  4. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 8/3/2010 5:23 AM, DanP wrote:
    > On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke"<> wrote:
    >
    >> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
    >> sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need

    > You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

    You can buy a lot of light bulbs for the price of a digital camera too.
    So what?

    J. Clarke, Aug 3, 2010
  5. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 8/3/2010 5:23 AM, DanP wrote:
    > On Aug 3, 9:51 am, "J. Clarke"<> wrote:
    >
    >> May be more than you want to spend but a ring flash is made for this
    >> sort of thing. The Sigma EM-140 works fine for $379. If you need

    > You can buy a lot of light bulbs for that money.

    126 200 watt bulbs from Lowes or 43 rough service 200 watt bulbs from
    bulbs.com. Or if you go with the Chinese knockoff then it's 13 rough
    service bulbs or 36 Lowes bulbs.

    And that leaves aside the convenience factor. With the ring light you
    just point and shoot, no need to move lights for every shot.

    J. Clarke, Aug 3, 2010