Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RBM, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. RBM

    RBM Guest

    "Brent" <> wrote in message
    > In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
    > conditions (like many people do).
    >
    > Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
    > the camera flash.
    >
    > It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
    > aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
    > directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
    >
    > Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
    > they
    > break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
    >
    > Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
    > 200W
    > bulbs from ACE?

    If you want standard incandescent, you want a "rough service" lamp. They
    have a more durable filament and can withstand shock and vibration. Don't
    get a drip of water on one when it's hot though, it'll explode. Here is a
    link:
    http://www.superiorlighting.com/Pro..._medium=free_feed&utm_campaign=googleproducts

    RBM, Aug 2, 2010

  2. RBM

    DanP Guest

    DanP, Aug 3, 2010

  3. In article <4c573971$0$4991$>, RBM wrote:

    >"Brent" <> wrote in message
    >> In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
    >> conditions (like many people do).
    >>
    >> Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
    >> the camera flash.
    >>
    >> It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
    >> aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
    >> the directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.
    >>
    >> Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
    >> they break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.
    >>
    >> Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
    >> 200W bulbs from ACE?

    >If you want standard incandescent, you want a "rough service" lamp. They
    >have a more durable filament and can withstand shock and vibration. Don't
    >get a drip of water on one when it's hot though, it'll explode.

    Rough service incandescents produce light in less quantity and of a
    yellower color than standard incandescents do. One reason is that the
    filament has a different shape that conducts more heat to the bulb's fill
    gas. Another is that rough service lamps are generally designed for
    longer life expectancy.

    You may need to use more lamps or ones of wattage higher than 200 watts.

    On the other hand, there are 250W 3200K "photoflood" lamps. They are
    known as PH/250A23 or as ECA. They have a multisupported C9 filament like
    rough service lamps have. They produce 6,300 lumens, same as a "standard"
    300 watt 120V 750 hour incandescent with the usual CC-6 coiled-coil
    filament. Their main drawback is a short life expectancy of 30 hours.

    Then again, the 300 watt incandescents may be good. Their CC-6
    filaments usually have filament supports, while I seem to think that 200W
    incandescents with CC-6 filaments lack filament supports.

    - Don Klipstein ()

    Don Klipstein, Aug 4, 2010