Re: What brand of Laptop to get

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    PeeCee, Jul 6, 2010

  2. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Middle of the range, capable of multimedia use, separate Graphics card
    >> 14-15.6" screen size, HDMI out.
    >>
    >> Brand that has good support.
    >>

    > Woger
    >
    > Going on this pdf your best bet is an Asus or Toshiba:
    > http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf
    >

    > Paul

    Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.

    Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
    HP was the answer.
    ?????
    So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it to
    them.

    To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
    (actually they said "will" be Pavilions)

    OK explain.

    Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the reliability
    issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
    They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had returned
    last year when they 'were' selling them.
    One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
    warranty & HP refused to fix)
    When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
    grinned, 'exactly'

    OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are way
    better for reliability.
    So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
    The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.

    They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
    specification.
    eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be some
    hundreds of $ cheaper.
    That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
    (Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well known
    to be below par for reliability)

    So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
    there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
    If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by the
    likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the unreliability
    charts.

    FWIW
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 14, 2010

  3. PeeCee

    John Little Guest

    On Jul 14, 4:09 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
    > grinned, 'exactly'
    > So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
    > there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

    Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
    they're damaging their brand with this approach.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Jul 14, 2010
  4. PeeCee

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
    > On Jul 14, 4:09 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes
    >> and grinned, 'exactly'
    >> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread
    >> that there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

    > Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
    > they're damaging their brand with this approach.

    Oh, I doubt that it's not paying off for them. They're selling more
    machines, which means more money. The punter sees more HP machines so is
    more likely to think of them when buying time comes around.

    It's only informed groups who really know about this stuff.
    --
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.
    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2010
  5. PeeCee

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
    >> On Jul 14, 4:09 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes
    >>> and grinned, 'exactly'
    >>> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread
    >>> that there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

    >> Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
    >> they're damaging their brand with this approach.

    > Oh, I doubt that it's not paying off for them. They're selling more
    > machines, which means more money. The punter sees more HP machines so is
    > more likely to think of them when buying time comes around.
    >
    > It's only informed groups who really know about this stuff.

    <snip>

    Do my best to spread the word!

    One thing I have noticed with HP though is the better the model, the better
    the support on their website including drivers for newer versions of
    windows.
    EG Presario S5020AN (cheap MSI Via motherboard Athlon 2400+) I'm working on
    at the moment, go to the website and it is noticeable there is only drivers
    for XP, and the 'specifications' simply aren't there.
    OTOH Scanjet 5300C Scanner which was sold as a business model some years ago
    even has Windows 7 drivers available.

    Take every opportunity to berate them about their 'quality' when their dam
    (very persistent) 'Surveys' pop up.

    P.
    PeeCee, Jul 14, 2010
  6. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 14/07/2010 4:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Middle of the range, capable of multimedia use, separate Graphics card
    >>> 14-15.6" screen size, HDMI out.
    >>>
    >>> Brand that has good support.
    >>>

    >> Woger
    >>
    >> Going on this pdf your best bet is an Asus or Toshiba:
    >> http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf
    >>

    >> Paul
    >>

    > Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.
    >
    > Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
    > HP was the answer.
    > ?????
    > So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it
    > to them.
    >
    > To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
    > (actually they said "will" be Pavilions)
    >
    > OK explain.
    >
    > Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the
    > reliability issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
    > They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had
    > returned last year when they 'were' selling them.
    > One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
    > warranty & HP refused to fix)
    > When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
    > grinned, 'exactly'
    >
    > OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are
    > way better for reliability.
    > So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
    > The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.
    >
    > They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
    > specification.
    > eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be
    > some hundreds of $ cheaper.
    > That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
    > (Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well
    > known to be below par for reliability)
    >
    > So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
    > there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
    > If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by
    > the likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the
    > unreliability charts.
    >

    > FWIW
    > Paul.

    The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
    one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty

    --
    "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."
    victor, Jul 14, 2010
  7. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 15/07/2010 12:21 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:10:11 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/07/2010 4:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "PeeCee"<> wrote in message

    >>> Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.
    >>>
    >>> Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
    >>> HP was the answer.
    >>> ?????
    >>> So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it
    >>> to them.
    >>>
    >>> To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
    >>> (actually they said "will" be Pavilions)
    >>>
    >>> OK explain.
    >>>
    >>> Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the
    >>> reliability issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
    >>> They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had
    >>> returned last year when they 'were' selling them.
    >>> One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
    >>> warranty& HP refused to fix)
    >>> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
    >>> grinned, 'exactly'
    >>>
    >>> OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are
    >>> way better for reliability.
    >>> So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
    >>> The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.
    >>>
    >>> They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
    >>> specification.
    >>> eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be
    >>> some hundreds of $ cheaper.
    >>> That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
    >>> (Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well
    >>> known to be below par for reliability)
    >>>
    >>> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
    >>> there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
    >>> If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by
    >>> the likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the
    >>> unreliability charts.
    >>>

    >>> FWIW
    >>> Paul.
    >>>

    >> The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
    >> one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty

    > Totally illegal you do not need a extended warranty as its covered by
    > the C.G.A. don't you listen to the news as off late..
    >

    > Check some of the Gov site it list how long things should last..

    There isn't anything illegal about them offering that warranty
    worldwide, and I'm sure they are well aware of their obligations under
    the consumer laws in New Zealand.
    The stats you posted were from a *US* 3rd party organization with a
    business providing extended warranty cover through *US* retail outlets, so
    AS I SAID
    (all caps for the hard of reading)

    victor, Jul 15, 2010
  8. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    On 15/07/2010 6:54 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    ..

    > Totally WRONG they are covered by the C.G.A. No extended warranty
    > needed.

    Not much use to those Squaretrade customers.

    And since you seem determined to make a tit of yourself yet again.

    "Established in 1999, SquareTrade is a pre-IPO company located directly
    above the Montgomery BART station in the heart of San Francisco's
    financial district."

    http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/about-us-overview
    victor, Jul 15, 2010
  9. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 16/07/2010 4:44 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:48:05 +1200, EMB<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 15/07/2010 12:21 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Totally illegal you do not need a extended warranty as its covered by
    >>> the C.G.A. don't you listen to the news as off late..
    >>>

    >>> Check some of the Gov site it list how long things should last..
    >>>

    >> Fundamental to all of that Woger is that a cheaper item can reasonably
    >> be expected to last less time than a more expensive one. Thus a cheap
    >> Pavilion with 12 months warranty is probably seen as not unreasonable
    >> alongside a (expensive) Probook with 36 month warranty.
    >>
    >> Additionally with the business depreciation rules for computers allowing
    >> 48% PA straight line depreciation it can be easily argued that 26 months
    >> is a reasonable lifetime for a business laptop (likely to be a Probook
    >> level machine). Extrapolate back from that and on price difference
    >> alone you would be hard pressed to justify a CGA repair after much over
    >> a year for a Pavilion.

    > TOTTAL RUBISH.
    >
    >> Remember Woger, computers are a consumer items nowadays, unlike even as
    >> recently as 5 years ago, and as such are effectively a throwaway if they
    >> break.

    > Well I have done 3 CGA claims out site warrantee dates and won , may be
    > you need to take you head out of the sand.
    >
    > So I know what I am on about, Plus I am a very Avid GCA person, plus
    > there is No way on earth that you can change my thinking.
    >
    > Many many products have know manufactures faults, like the HP scanner I
    > had some 2 1/2 years old, had lots of hits of problems on the Web, HP
    > replaced it at cost, 1/2 price, and a Hitachi Tuner Amp, found that
    > fault in a Magazine, well known fault.
    >
    > Plus 2-3 other claims that did not go to court.
    >
    > Even the EU now has mandatory 2 year warrantees.
    >
    > There was a Case Fane that the German manufactures gave it a 6 year
    > warrantee, but dealers here only 6 months.
    > .
    > So should we got back to the days when US companies only gave a 90Day
    > warrantee?
    >
    > So if you sit on your hands nothing will happen.

    You do realize the vendors just charge you extra high prices in NZ to
    pay for the CGA.
    And they still don't guarantee that they will not dispute the claim.
    victor, Jul 16, 2010
  10. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2010
  11. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <i1mskj$u9k$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 15/07/2010 12:21 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    >>
    >> Totally illegal you do not need a extended warranty as its covered by
    >> the C.G.A. don't you listen to the news as off late..
    >> Check some of the Gov site it list how long things should last..

    >Fundamental to all of that Woger is that a cheaper item can reasonably
    >be expected to last less time than a more expensive one. Thus a cheap
    >Pavilion with 12 months warranty is probably seen as not unreasonable
    >alongside a (expensive) Probook with 36 month warranty.
    >Additionally with the business depreciation rules for computers allowing
    >48% PA straight line depreciation it can be easily argued that 26 months
    >is a reasonable lifetime for a business laptop (likely to be a Probook
    >level machine). Extrapolate back from that and on price difference
    >alone you would be hard pressed to justify a CGA repair after much over
    >a year for a Pavilion.

    It doesn't, however, come down to price completly as you suggest. To me (and
    I suspect to many/most), if a computer of any sort didn't last 3 years I
    would want to know why. After all, if a $12 toaster has a reasonable' life
    of 3 years, why shouldn't an $800 computer ? :)
    Business is quite different of course. But you learn. :)

    >Remember Woger, computers are a consumer items nowadays, unlike even as
    >recently as 5 years ago, and as such are effectively a throwaway if they
    >break.

    Doesn't mean they should last a reasonable time. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2010
  12. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <1jclztcywxvpf$>, Bret <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:28:57 +1200, victor wrote:
    >
    >> You do realize the vendors just charge you extra high prices in NZ to
    >> pay for the CGA.

    >And then double dip with the "extended warranty"

    They tried to sell me one of those *after* I said CGA, by suggesting that
    "oh, but it would be much easier with the extended warranty". Bastards ! :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2010
  13. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <>, Bret <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:45:11 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <1jclztcywxvpf$>, Bret <>

    > wrote:
    >>>And then double dip with the "extended warranty"

    >> They tried to sell me one of those *after* I said CGA, by suggesting that
    >> "oh, but it would be much easier with the extended warranty". Bastards ! :)

    >Trying to grind you down eh?
    >They don't realise you expect it to be hard anyway :)

    Indeed. Insurers (which is what these guys effectively are) don't get rich
    by paying out. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2010
  14. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 19/07/2010 3:58 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article<>, Bret<> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:45:11 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> They tried to sell me one of those *after* I said CGA, by suggesting that
    >>> "oh, but it would be much easier with the extended warranty". Bastards ! :)

    >> Trying to grind you down eh?
    >> They don't realise you expect it to be hard anyway :)

    > Indeed. Insurers (which is what these guys effectively are) don't get rich
    > by paying out. :)

    The retailers probably wouldn't keep selling the extended warranties if
    the customers complained.
    The Squaretrade survey of reliability by brand quoted in this thread is
    based on the extended warranty claims they paid out.
    victor, Jul 19, 2010
  15. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <i21b4q$o7v$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 19/07/2010 3:58 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article<>, Bret<>

    > wrote:

    >>> Trying to grind you down eh?
    >>> They don't realise you expect it to be hard anyway :)

    >> Indeed. Insurers (which is what these guys effectively are) don't get rich
    >> by paying out. :)
    >>

    >The retailers probably wouldn't keep selling the extended warranties if
    >the customers complained.

    Well, some of us do.
    Obviously not enough ? Or perhaps they make so much extra dosh from selling
    them they'd need a serious kicking to stop doing it ? Or perhaps customers
    generally really are that stupid ?
    None of those options are particularly comforting. :)

    (snip)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2010
  16. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 20/07/2010 11:10 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article<i21b4q$o7v$-september.org>, victor<> wrote:
    >> On 19/07/2010 3:58 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Indeed. Insurers (which is what these guys effectively are) don't get rich
    >>> by paying out. :)
    >>>

    >> The retailers probably wouldn't keep selling the extended warranties if
    >> the customers complained.

    > Well, some of us do.
    > Obviously not enough ? Or perhaps they make so much extra dosh from selling
    > them they'd need a serious kicking to stop doing it ? Or perhaps customers
    > generally really are that stupid ?
    > None of those options are particularly comforting. :)
    >

    > (snip)

    Why would you complain if you bought the extended warranty and it was
    paid out ?
    From my experience with shop staff they are not skilled or
    knowledgeable in dealing with warranty matters, its much better from the
    retailers point of view to contract out all warranty matters, both
    factory standard and extended to a warranty service specialist like
    Squaretrade so they can avoid dealing with complainers and time wasters.
    victor, Jul 20, 2010
  17. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <i22v8c$qf2$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> (snip)

    >Why would you complain if you bought the extended warranty and it was
    >paid out ?

    I wouldn't. But neither would I have the 'extended warranty'. :)

    > From my experience with shop staff they are not skilled or
    >knowledgeable in dealing with warranty matters,

    Sadly true.

    > its much better from the
    >retailers point of view to contract out all warranty matters,

    Very true. For them - short term. Doesn't make it good for the consumer nor
    for the shop long term if/when warranty claims are refused. No matter who
    was 'legally' responsible, the bad feeling will be against the original
    seller. If I were the retailer, I would want to control that part of my
    marketing. Much easier to keep customers than to get new ones. If they were
    pissed off, I'd like to know it wasn't by one of my contractors . :)

    >both
    >factory standard and extended to a warranty service specialist like
    >Squaretrade so they can avoid dealing with complainers and time wasters.

    ... and I think that last part pretty much sums up why I think it's a bad
    idea for everyone *except* the shop (and short term only for them). :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2010
  18. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 20/07/2010 6:10 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:48:09 +1200, victor<> wrote:

    >>> Well, some of us do.
    >>> Obviously not enough ? Or perhaps they make so much extra dosh from selling
    >>> them they'd need a serious kicking to stop doing it ? Or perhaps customers
    >>> generally really are that stupid ?
    >>> None of those options are particularly comforting. :)
    >>>

    >>> (snip)

    >> Why would you complain if you bought the extended warranty and it was
    >> paid out ?
    >> From my experience with shop staff they are not skilled or
    >> knowledgeable in dealing with warranty matters, its much better from the
    >> retailers point of view to contract out all warranty matters, both
    >> factory standard and extended to a warranty service specialist like
    >> Squaretrade so they can avoid dealing with complainers and time wasters.

    > That it Not Legal and does not work, been there done that.
    >
    > The Contract of sale is between you and the retailer..

    The retailer doesn't service the equipment or replace it, they have an
    agreement with the vendor or a third party service organization, it
    makes no difference who you think is to blame.

    The New Zealand nanny states CGA actually interferes in what should be a
    straightforward insurance transaction and creates an adversarial blame
    situation between the customer and the retailer as can be seen by the
    aggressive response from both yourself and Bruce when warranties are
    mentioned.
    victor, Jul 20, 2010
  19. Re: What brand of Laptop to get: addendum

    In article <i23gha$d09$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >The retailer doesn't service the equipment or replace it, they have an
    >agreement with the vendor or a third party service organization, it
    >makes no difference who you think is to blame.
    >
    >The New Zealand nanny states CGA actually interferes in what should be a
    >straightforward insurance transaction and creates an adversarial blame
    >situation between the customer and the retailer as can be seen by the
    >aggressive response from both yourself and Bruce when warranties are
    >mentioned.

    Ah, no. The CGA makes it very clear who has the responsibility of fixing the
    problem.
    If you have ever been in the unfortunate situation of dealing with (say)
    power and lines companies as to who, exactly, has the problem, you will
    understand that this is, in fact, a very good thing. :)
    No confusion, no blame assigning, no run around. It's your problem. Fix it.

    Good news indeed.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 21, 2010
  20. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 21/07/2010 11:33 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article<i23gha$d09$-september.org>, victor<> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >> The retailer doesn't service the equipment or replace it, they have an
    >> agreement with the vendor or a third party service organization, it
    >> makes no difference who you think is to blame.
    >>
    >> The New Zealand nanny states CGA actually interferes in what should be a
    >> straightforward insurance transaction and creates an adversarial blame
    >> situation between the customer and the retailer as can be seen by the
    >> aggressive response from both yourself and Bruce when warranties are
    >> mentioned.

    > Ah, no. The CGA makes it very clear who has the responsibility of fixing the
    > problem.
    > If you have ever been in the unfortunate situation of dealing with (say)
    > power and lines companies as to who, exactly, has the problem, you will
    > understand that this is, in fact, a very good thing. :)
    > No confusion, no blame assigning, no run around. It's your problem. Fix it.

    LOL
    You talk to a call centre in Asia who arranges with a third party
    service corporation for a local subcontractor to maybe correct your problem.
    The CGA is feelgood vote buying to make you think you owe the government
    some debt of gratitude for what is just business as usual.
    victor, Jul 21, 2010