Re: What are the odds of getting a bad 10D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles Schuler, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. "Patrick L." <> wrote in message
    news:VtvWa.128408$...
    > Per this article, which states that some 10Ds have focusing problems.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5709315
    >
    > What are the odds of getting one of these bad ones (in America, if that
    > makes a difference)?

    Thanks for posting this. I read the article and have read other items on
    this issue. Makes one wonder if certain cameras are defective or if there
    is a design issue with 10Ds. After all, auto focusing is a bit of a black
    art.
    Charles Schuler, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Charles Schuler

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "Patrick L." <> wrote in message
    > > Per this article, which states that some 10Ds have focusing problems.
    > >
    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5709315
    > >
    > > What are the odds of getting one of these bad ones (in America, if that
    > > makes a difference)?

    > Thanks for posting this. I read the article and have read other items on
    > this issue. Makes one wonder if certain cameras are defective or if there
    > is a design issue with 10Ds. After all, auto focusing is a bit of a black
    > art.

    The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
    IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
    use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
    a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
    many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
    right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
    that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
    has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
    larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
    digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
    much larger DOF.

    If you want the 10D, get it. It is an amazing camera and you'll be in
    heaven :)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 2, 2003

  3. > The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
    > IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
    > use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
    > a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
    > many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
    > right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
    > that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
    > has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
    > larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
    > digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
    > much larger DOF.

    I agree. We all take fuzzy pictures from time to time and as humans we like
    to blame someone else. Enjoy your 10D ... it looks like one heck of a good
    camera.
    Charles Schuler, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Charles Schuler

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Charles Schuler
    <> writes

    >> The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
    >> IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
    >> use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
    >> a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
    >> many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
    >> right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
    >> that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
    >> has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
    >> larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
    >> digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
    >> much larger DOF.

    >I agree. We all take fuzzy pictures from time to time and as humans we like
    >to blame someone else. Enjoy your 10D ... it looks like one heck of a good
    >camera.

    If it's a user problem, how come Canon have admitted to it as a
    hardware/firmware problem, and are fixing cameras when returned?

    I suspect that there's no intrinsic problem with the hardware/firmware.
    It's more likely that their test parameters when calibrating the cameras
    just before they leave the factory were a little slack. I suspect this
    has now been tightened up, and cameras delivered now should be OK. I'm
    hoping!
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Aug 3, 2003