Re: What am I doing wrong with AdAware?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "MaryL" <> wrote in message
    > I just uninstalled the older version of AdAware (I think it was v. 5.83)

    and
    > downoaded and installed v.6.

    .. Of great importance: now I am
    > getting lots of pop-up ads, which the older version prevented.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    Thanks, everyone. I have now tried all your suggestions (installed SpyBot,
    Spyware Blaster, and AdAware -- and downloaded updates for each). I already
    had a Netgear firewall router connected to my computer because I have cable
    connection. I also scanned with both SpyBot (and immunized) and AdAware.
    Nevertheless, I now get lots of pop-up ads -- something that began only
    after I uninstalled the old version of AdAware.

    For an example of what I am seeing, please check this:
    Cnn.com>sports>golfonline>then click on "full hole-by-hole leaderboard"
    under the Buick Classic leaderboard. When you first go to golfonline, you
    will see some "action" pop-ups; when you go to the longer leaderboard, you
    should immediately see a pop-up ad from Microsoft. At least, that's what is
    happening to me! (I have unfortunately lost the name of a program that was
    recommended to deal with the Macromedia type of pop-ups -- something like
    "proximotrin?" and still need to do a search for that.)

    Any suggestiosn?

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 21, 2003

  2. MaryL

    MM3NDH Guest

    You want to block popups?
    www.crazybrowser.com

    Enjoy!

    Nathan D Higgins

    MM3NDH, Jun 21, 2003

  3. MaryL

    °Mike° Guest

    Proxomitron
    http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:59:32 -0500, in
    <>
    MaryL scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 21, 2003
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <ïX.com.SPäM> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, MaryL mused:
    > |
    > | For an example of what I am seeing, please check this:
    > | Cnn.com>sports>golfonline>then click on "full hole-by-hole leaderboard"
    > | under the Buick Classic leaderboard.
    >
    > Didn't see any popups at all. Using AdShield for Internet Explorer.
    > www.adshield.org Have a look. You can go to their forums to download
    > pre-configured block lists, or start your own from scratch.

    Yes, I finally realized that I was confusing spyware detectors with pop-up
    ads. It was coincidence that the problem resurfaced with I uninstalled
    AdAware. I have been using Panicware Pop-up Stopper (and somehow disabled
    it when I installed the new version of AdAware).

    The link you provided looks very good. Pop-up Stopper does not deal with
    those annoying Macromedia ads, and I see that Adshield can control them.
    Thanks for the tip.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 21, 2003
  5. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as MaryL said

    > Thanks. My brain must be operating in low gear today. I finally
    > realized that I was expecting spyware detectors to stop pop-up ads.
    > It was apparently a coincidence that the ads appeared when I
    > uninstalled AdAware. So I retraced my steps and discovered that my
    > Pop-up Stopper (Panicware) was disabled. It is now re-enabled!

    If you were a guy you'd deserve a slap in a dark alley for that ;-)
    You still deserve one but you get away with just a black mark...
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 21, 2003
  6. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    MaryL, Jun 21, 2003
  7. MaryL

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:42:25 -0500, in
    <>
    MaryL scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Proxomitron
    >> http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html
    >>

    >Great! That's one of the programs I have been wanting to try.
    >
    >MaryL

    You should also check out JD's config sets:
    http://www.jd5000.net/

    Makes life much more simple to have it pre-configured.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 21, 2003
  8. MaryL

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:22:08 -0500, Mara wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:10:43 GMT, mhicaoidh wrote:
    >
    >>Taking a moment's reflection, MaryL mused:
    >>|
    >>| The link you provided looks very good. Pop-up Stopper does not deal with
    >>| those annoying Macromedia ads, and I see that Adshield can control them.
    >>| Thanks for the tip.
    >>
    >> I've been very impressed with AdShield. What does get through, you can
    >>add to the block list ... on occasion, I have run into a few popups that
    >>AdShield couldn't block. A post in the forums, and the next version
    >>(relatively quickly released too) blocked them. Very impressed, indeed.
    >>The only draw back I can see with AdShield is that it only works with IE.

    > That's why I run Mozilla instead of IE. One of the reasons, anyway.
    >
    > "No popups. And the setting is built right into the browser - no need for a
    > separate program."

    Also, Popup Manager, Cookie Manager, etc in the tools menu. Popups and
    cookies can be enabled for specific sites. In addition to the built-in
    tabbed browsing.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 21, 2003
  9. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:42:25 -0500, in
    > <>
    > MaryL scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Proxomitron
    > >> http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html
    > >>

    > >Great! That's one of the programs I have been wanting to try.
    > >
    > >MaryL

    > You should also check out JD's config sets:
    > http://www.jd5000.net/
    >
    > Makes life much more simple to have it pre-configured.
    >
    > --
    > STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    Looks very helpful. Thanks.

    MaryL